Stuff it, roll it, or wrap it. That was the criteria behind the selection of a recipe. The possibilities seemed endless. Should there be an attempt at making homemade sushi for the first time? Or perhaps turn a favorite sandwich into a wrap? There are burritos, boliche (Cuban stuffed beef roast), Thai basil rolls, and so much more on my to-make list. I finally decided on ham, turkey and cheddar turnovers because puff pastry is involved and that is always a good thing.
Puff pastry and phyllo dough get me every time. The thin flakiness makes an airy crunch unlike almost any other. I’ve made spanakopita or cherry cream cheese bites with phyllo sheets or shells. Turning leftovers into something special is easily done with puff pastry like I did with lingonberry turnovers and these savory ones. The way they puff up when baking is almost like magic.
How are the ham, turkey, and cheddar turnovers? They are flaky on the outside and full of savory goodness on the inside. Chopped ham, turkey, and shredded cheddar cheese are mixed with onion and seasonings to create a flavorful filling. The filling is stuffed inside oh so heavenly puff pastry. Folding the pastry over the filling and sealing it is a challenge. It will seem as if there is too much for each turnover. However, the filling shrinks and the pastry expands while baking so it all works out in the end.
Do you like foods that are stuffed, rolled, or wrapped? I sure do and so do a bunch of Sunday Supper contributors. We are even having a virtual event to celebrate them. Scroll down to find the recipe list and links below. Special thanks to Amy of kimchi MOM for hosting this fun event. Oh, and find more recipes by following the #WeekdaySupper hashtag on twitter.
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 ounces finely diced ham
- ¾ cup finely diced turkey or chicken
- 3 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or non-stick liner.
- Combine onion, ham, turkey, cheese, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire, and thyme in a large bowl.
- On a lightly dusted surface, roll out puff pastry to a 12-inch square. Cut into 4 equal squares.
- Divide mixuture among the squares, placing it on one side and leaving about a ½-inch border.
- Brush edges with water and fold the pasty over to form a triangle.
- Press edges to seal. Transfer turnovers to baking sheet.
- Baked for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Ham, turkey, and cheese turnover from Woman’s Day.
Are you looking for stuffed, rolled, or wrapped foods? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors:
Starters and Snacks
- Endive Stuffed with Blue Cheese, Walnuts and Honey by Shockingly Delicious
- Filipino Turon (Banana Lumpia) by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Arepas de Queso by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Tinga Taquitos with Avocado Cream by Savvy Eats
- Eggy Rice Wraps by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Puff Pastry and Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Onigiri by Brunch With Joy
- Stuffed Pierogie Shells by Seduction in The Kitchen
- Scotch Eggs with Sriracha Dipping Sauce by Run DMT
- Celery Root Lettuce Wraps with Beluga Lentils by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Entrees and Mains
- Rouladen by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Stracci di Antrodoco by Manu’s Menu
- Eggplant Rollatini by MealDiva
- Chicken Cordon Blue by The Foodie Army Wife
- Stuffed Whole Baby Savoy Cabbages by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Taco Egg Rolls by Table for Seven
- Shrimp Tempura Roll by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Lemon and Herb Stuffed Salmon by Nosh My Way
- Tamales de Rajas y Requeson (Roasted Poblano Tamales) by La Cocina de Leslie
- Bademjan Shekam-por by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mascarpone Blueberry Stuffed French Toast by gotta get baked
- Korean-style Meaty Stuffed Potatoes by kimchi MOM
- Strawberries and Cream Pancake Roll by Curious Cuisiniere
- Creamy Goat Cheese Quinoa Stuffed Tomatoes by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Greek Rolled Meatloaf by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Shrimp Burritos Con Queso by Cooking On The Ranch
- Bee-Bim Bop Sushi Rolls by NinjaBaking.com
- Angel Hair Shrimp Lettuce Wraps by Family Foodie
- Genoa Salami and Kalamata Olive Calzones by The Texan New Yorker
- Zucchini Boats by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Girl’s Camp Breakfast Burritos by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Crab Louie Stuffed Chicken by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Rustic “Wrapped” Tart with Ramps by Delaware Girl Eats
- Potato Roll Stuffed with Ham and Cheese in Red Sause by Basic N Delicious
- Ham, Turkey and Cheddar Turnovers by Magnolia Days
- Crispy Chipotle Shrimp Burritos by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Pizza Pockets by girlichef
- Ham and Cheese Crescent “Roll” Stromboli by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Beef Wellington Braciole by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Greek Salad Wrap by The Messy Baker
- Cabbage Venison Lettuce Wraps With Fresh Herbs by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
All Things Sweet
- Easy Apple Dumplings by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Chocolate Hazelnut Rugelach by Desserts Required
- Chocolate Cake Roll by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cannoli Stuffed French Toast by Momma’s Meals
- Lemon Poppyseed Swirl Cookies by What Smells So Good
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Egg Rolls by Melanie Makes
- Raspberry and Lemon-Curd Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chocolate Chip Banana Sweet Rolls by Big Bear’s Wife
- Orange Chocolate Swiss Roll by Noshing With The Nolands
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Flourless Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement