Pssst…Heads Up! Cupid is on his way. Yes, Valentine’s Day is coming soon. You may notice the greeting card section having lots of red in it. Why? Because red is the color for that day. It’s a reason fresh strawberries are so perfect for celebrating. And, of course, you need bubbly. I’ve combined the two in Sparkling Strawberry Salad.
Where to get fresh strawberries in wintertime? Go to your local grocery store. Winter is the season for Florida strawberries. Beautiful, sweet, fresh berries from Florida Strawberry Growers Association farms can be found in the produce section.
Sparkling Strawberry Salad is a delightful mix of goodness. It has the right balance of flavor and texture. It’s something I learned about when making Radicchio Orange Salad. Sweet mellows bitter. That’s the combo of arugula and strawberries. You need a touch of salty and crunchy. Feta cheese and almonds work nicely. Pearl couscous adds softness and is a nod to bubbles in sparkling wine. Red onion is thrown in there because I like it in salads. Sparkling almond dressing ties it all together.
Strawberries are good for you. They are loaded with vital nutrients to keep your body healthy and strong. Their anti-oxidants help fight off colds and flu. Only eight medium strawberries can provide the daily requirement of Vitamin C. For more strawberry nutrition information go here: 10 Reasons To Eat Strawberries.
Have you thought about traveling for Valentine’s Day? A nice thing to do for your sweetie is to take him or her on a romantic getaway. Where to go? Tampa is a great destination especially staying at the Epicurean Hotel. There are fabulous restaurants such as Elevage, Cask Social Kitchen, Ava, Edge Rooftop Bar at Epicurean, and Bern’s Harry Waugh Dessert Room. I know I’d be thrilled with a surprise of a trip full of luxury and fantastic dining.
Keeping up with the latest on Florida Strawberries is easy! All you have to do is follow them and Strawberry Sue on social media plus visit their websites:
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association on Facebook
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association on Twitter
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association on Instagram
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association on Pinterest
- Florida Strawberry Growers Association Website
- Strawberry Sue on YouTube
- Strawberry Sue on Twitter
- Strawberry Sue Website
There’s more! Show your love of strawberries on Instagram to enter to win a Visa gift card. There are three prizes: $100, $50, or $25. All you have to do is post a photo with a strawberry in it on Instagram and include the #FLStrawberry hashtag along with it. You must be a United States resident 18 years of age or older to enter and be eligible to win. Contest runs from 12/27/15 through 01/17/16. Winners will be chosen at random and announced during the live #SundaySupper Twitter party on Sunday, January 17, 2016 from 7 to 8pm Eastern Time. This promotion is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram. For complete contest rules and details go here: Show Us Your Strawberries Instagram Contest
How about more delicious strawberry recipes? Oh yes! Scroll down to find a list of them. The Sunday Supper Movement is proud to partner with the Florida Strawberry Growers Association to share glorious summer sunshine in the middle of winter. Also look at my Strawberry Poppy Seed Cake and Strawberry Almond Quick Bread to bake with those lovely Florida strawberries.
Sparkling Strawberry Salad
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup brut sparkling wine or champagne
- 2 tablespoons amaretto
- 1 small garlic clove minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Pinch of salt and pepper
For the salad:
- 1/3 cup uncooked pearl couscous Israeli
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 heaping cup fresh strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons red onion optional
- 2 tablespoons toasted almond slices
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese crumbles
For the dressing:
Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine.
Dressing will separate. Whisk again as needed.
Chill extra dressing in a sealed container. Bring to room temperature and shake prior to using.
For the salad:
Prepare couscous according to package instructions. Stir in a teaspoon or two of the dressing to coat couscous. Cool to room temperature.
Arrange arugula on two salad plates. Top with couscous, strawberries, onion (if using), almonds, and feta cheese.
Drizzle dressing over salads.
Sparkling Strawberry Salad is a delightful mix of greens, couscous, fresh strawberries, almonds, feta cheese with sparkling almond dressing.
Do you want to enjoy a taste of summer in winter? Take a look at these wonderful strawberry recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers:
- Strawberry Bee’s Knees by Go Epicurista
- Strawberries with Balsamic Glaze by Life Tastes Good
- Strawberry Hotteok (Fried Stuffed Pancake) by kimchi MOM
- Strawberry Salsa 2-Ways by Midlife Road Trip
- Strawberry and Cream Cheese Breakfast Pastries with a Strawberry Dipping Sauce by The Healthy Fit Foodie
- Grilled Chicken Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by Momma’s Meals
- Sparkling Strawberry Salad by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Steak Salad by Family Foodie
Strawberry Main Dishes
- Chicken Fajitas with Strawberry-Jalapeno Salsa by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Balsamic Strawberries and Brie Grilled Sandwich by Sunday Supper Movement
- Savory Balsamic Roasted Strawberry and Basil Grilled Cheese by Pass The Sushi
- Strawberry Bruschetta Chicken by The Dinner-Mom
- Chocolate Strawberry Tart by Desserts Required
- Strawberry Cream Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Strawberry Fraisier by Love and Confections
- Strawberry Upside-Down Cheesecake by The Crumby Cupcake
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.