What do Easter, spring, lemons, flowers, seeds, a book, strawberries, and a salad have in common? They are all parts to the story behind this Strawberry Poppy Seed cake. It begins with a simple theme for the Bundt Bakers group; bake a cake for Easter or spring. Plowing through my cookbooks and cake recipes gave the first impulse of one to make. It would be lemon. Yep, that was it. Well, until I went out and saw the first signs of growth on my poppy plant. It would not be long before those lovely flowers would be blooming. It inspired me to add poppy seeds to the cake. Lemon poppy seed cake became the plan.
A little voice in the back of my head questioned using lemon. While it is a common pairing for poppy seeds, something else might be more adventurous. Once again I checked in the ultimate recipe development resource book, The Flavor Bible, and saw strawberries listed under poppy seeds. Immediately my thoughts went back to the early 90’s when a friend brought a strawberry poppy seed salad to a potluck. Oh how I enjoyed that salad. The flavors went so well together. The cake plan changed again, this time for good.
How is the strawberry poppy seed cake? The strawberry part is very subtle. There is a hint of it in the background against a nutty seed flavor. The color of the cake is not the expected pink or red. Only the glaze gives a clue as to what is inside.
It is a moist cake with an airy texture. Poppy seeds give a touch of crunchiness to each bite. There should be enough glaze to save for serving or you can make extra. A drizzle over a slice adds a pop of color. Plus it is a bonus to those who love glaze and frosting.
What cakes do you enjoy for Easter or spring? The bundt bakers have some mighty tasty recipes to share for this month’s theme. Getting to them is only a click away. Scroll down to find details on how you can join in the monthly Bundt Bakers fun. And big thanks to Tara of Noshing with the Nolands for hosting this month. For more spring or Easter recipes look at Lemon Parsley Cocktail and Coconut Cupcakes.
- Strawberry Poppy Seed Cake by Magnolia Days
- Babka with Bittersweet Chocolate Chunks by The Spiced Life
- Bursting-With-Berries Lemon Curd Bundt Cake by All That’s Left Are Crumbs
- Lemon Coconut Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
- Easter Pound Cake by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Easter Bunny Bundt by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Bunny Nest Carrot Mini Bundts by Food Lust People Love
- Colorful Spring Bundt Cake by Varada’s Kitchen
- Mini Lemon Spring Bundts by Noshing With The Nolands
- Pineapple Pale Ale Bundt Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze by Melanie Makes
- Carrot Tea Cake by My Catholic Kitchen
- Hot Cross Mini Bundts by Passion Kneaded
- Easter Swirl Cake by Tea and Scones
- Lemon & Elderflower Bundt Cake by Box of Stolen Socks
- Strawberry Lemon Bundt Cake by From Gate to Plate
What is Bundt Bakers? It’s a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Bundt Bakers Pinterest board for incredible bundt cake recipes and inspiration. Stacy of Food Lust People Love heads up our group and has a #BundtBakers page where you can find information and links to the recipes for each month.
How is the monthly theme determined? We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.