Every Christmas my family gathers around the table. Actually, that applies to both my family and my husband’s. We coordinate which dates work best for all involved. Every other year I am the host for both. I go all out and decorate my house from top to bottom. Yes, I’m one of those with Christmas trees in every room. I also like to have friends over to celebrate the season. One of the appetizers I plan to make for them is Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites. They are a wonderful starter to pair along with wine.
Holiday entertaining can be simple and easy. Sometimes it can be grabbing a few items at the store and putting them together. The deli section has pita bread, sliced turkey, and hummus. A few rows down should be olives and roasted red peppers. The last stop is produce for lettuce then you have everything you need for this appetizer.
Making Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites is quite easy. Cut a pita round in half, spread some hummus inside, stuff in turkey, spinach, and red peppers. Slice the pita into wedges and put an olive on top. Hold it all together with a toothpick (decorative one to be festive). The only thing left is to watch them disappear.
Not everyone can sit at a family table during the holidays. Gallo Family Vineyards understands the importance of giving back to the community and helping those in need. Their Every Cork Counts collection program helps end senior isolation and hunger. Gallo will donate $1 for every cork photo submitted (up to $50,000) to Meals on Wheels. Go here for more details: Every Cork Counts.
Which wines to serve with the turkey bites? I recommend Gallo Family Vineyards Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Why? Because I’ve seen both of those wine varietals be the most requested and sought out at parties. Gallo’s Chardonnay is medium-bodied with citrus notes. Their Cabernet Sauvignon is for the full-bodied wine enthusiasts with flavors of black currant and blackberry. Happy guests make for a fabulous gathering.
What else to make for holiday entertaining? Both Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch and Rosemary White Bean Dip are great ones. There are lots of choices below with recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers. Scroll down to see the list. Each one has pairings with Gallo Family Vineyards wines. Also take a look at Gallo’s Celebrating the Holidays blog post for more tips and inspiration.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on the company, vineyards, and their wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Their website has lots of information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines plus wine pairing notes and a handy store locator.
Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites
- 2 pita bread rounds
- 8 tablespoons hummus
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced deli turkey
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach stems removed
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers drained, patted dry, and chopped
- 16 kalamata olives
- 16 toothpicks
Cut pita rounds in half. Open pita and spread 2 tablespoons hummus inside on one side.
Top hummus with turkey, spinach, and peppers.
Cut pita halves into 4 wedges.
Place an olive on top and insert toothpick through olive and pita wedge.
Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites are an easy appetizer to make. They have hummus, spinach, and roasted peppers on the inside and an olive on top.
Are you ready to celebrate the holidays? Check out these easy to make recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers along with Gallo Family Vineyards wine pairings:
- Bacon Pineapple Jalapeño Cheese Ball from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Baked Brie with Cranberries & Almonds from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Best Bar Nuts from Shockingly Delicious
- Lamb Seekh Kebabs from Soni’s Food
- Mediterranean Turkey Pita Bites from Magnolia Days
- Roasted Cranberry Crostini from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Roasted Garlic Onion Dip from Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco with Salsa Verde from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Shrimp and Roasted Pepper Cheese Crostini from Fearless Dining
- Italian Hoagie Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Roast Duck with Mole Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
- Seafood Cannelloni from Palatable Pastime
Desserts and Sweets:
- Caramel Bread Pudding from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Chocolate Cups Filled with Cinnamon Pastry Cream and Berries from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chocolate Dipped Cheesecake Bites from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse from Life Tastes Good
- Cranberry Orange Walnut Truffles from Desserts Required
- Cranberry Panna Cotta from The Freshman Cook
- Crustless Pumpkin Pie with Orange Scented Whipped Cream from Recipe for Perfection
- Dark Cherry Chocolate Cheese Danish from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Plus don’t miss the Seasonal Wine Pairing Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.