You exit the kitchen and head to the den. You stop to look for a place to sit. It’s packed with friends and family cheering on their favorite team. The walls almost shake with loud bursts of happiness and disappointment. Arms are raised in joy and heads hang with sadness. Friendly banter goes back and forth as the score changes. All the emotional ups and downs work up a big appetite and thirst. It’s good to have plenty of eats nearby and Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch to wash it all down.
Game day eats have a big variety. It may seem like a challenge to know which wine to serve. What do you pair with wings, nachos, wontons, sliders, pizza, and more? It’s a collision of International cuisines and flavors. My recommendation is the same for almost every event with a multitude of food or when it’s unknown what others are bringing to the party. Go with Pinot Noir for red wine, Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc for white wine, and Moscato for a sweet or dessert wine.
A special cocktail is fun for an event. It’s even more fun when bubbly is involved. What could be more festive than that? Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch is a wine based cocktail sure to please a crowd. It pairs red wine with the dark fruit flavor of pomegranate, is sweetened with apple juice and lemonade, and made fizzy with sparkling wine. There is even special ice to serve with it as long as pomegranates are available.
Game day entertaining and pairings are easy. It’s even easier when you have help and great advice. Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards to share recipes, wine pairings, and tips for game day entertaining success. Scroll down to find the list and links to each one. We have fantastic lineup of everything from beverages to desserts.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: You can follow them on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Their website has information on all Gallo Family wines, a store locator, and pairing guides. I reviewed Hearty Burgundy last year and recently made Short Ribs with Pasta using their Cabernet Sauvignon. Gallo Family’s Pinot Noir is one I recommend for the punch.
Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch
For the ice:
- 1 pomegranate
For the punch:
- 3/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate thawed
- 1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate thawed
- 2 cups pomegranate juice chilled
- 1 3/4 cups Pinot Noir chilled
- 1 bottle sparkling wine 750 ml
- Lemon slices for serving
For the ice:
Cut the pomegranate remove the arils. Discard the skin and fleshy parts.
Divide the arils among 3 ice cube trays and fill almost full with water. Freeze until solid.
Note: For clearer ice cubes, bring water to a full rolling boil and cool before filling trays.
For the punch:
Combine apple juice concentrate, lemon juice concentrate, pomegranate juice, and Pinot Noir in a pitcher or punch bowl.
Add the sparkling wine just before serving, but do not stir.
Serve with ice and lemon slices.
Time does not include time for freezing ice cubes.
Recipe adapted from one in the Publix Grape magazine Fall 2013 issue.
Get your game day plan ready now. Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring Gallo Family Vineyards wine:
- Bacon Wrapped Maple Scallops by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Balsamic Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Bean and Chorizo Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Beer Braised Szechuan Chicken Wings by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Blue Cheese Burger Bites by Country Girl In The Village
- Chipotle Quinoa Fritters by Healthy. Delicious.
- Cilantro Lime Marinated Shrimp by Ruffles & Truffles
- Game Day Pepperoni Pizza Dip by Family Foodie
- Game Day Pulled Pork Nachos by girlichef
- Goat Cheese, Bacon, and Pistachio Truffles by Chocolate Moosey
- Grilled Steak Sliders with Chimichurri Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- Honey Dijon Glazed Wings by The Foodie Army Wife
- Honey Ham Barbecue by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Hot Crab and Artichoke Dip by The Dinner-Mom
- Korean-style Clams by kimchi MOM
- Sparkling Pomegranate Pinot Punch by Magnolia Days
- Spicy Sausage Rolls by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Spinach Balls by Shocklingly Delicious
- Spinach Lasagna Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.