Fresh summer corn is super fantastic awesome. Well, except two things: worms and shucking. A pile of fresh picked ears look and smell so inviting. Fear and frustration come between me and buying a bunch to take home. If only there were an in-home corn shucking service. Anyway, no shucking involved in Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes.
Sunday Supper theme this week is corn. Seeing it announced brought a smile to my face. Like I mentioned, fresh summer corn is super fantastic awesome. Heck, even frozen corn ranks high on the delish scale. So what to make? Hmmm…. Then I remembered the corn pancakes I made a while back.
The corn pancakes I made before are on the savory side. They have jalapeño peppers and corn kernels inside. This time I wanted to go on the sweet side. Blueberries came to mind first. Also I wanted to call them masa harina pancakes. Why? Because calling them corn pancakes caused confusion.
What was the confusion? A southern bread called Johnnycakes made with cornmeal. I had a lot of folks thinking those savory corn cakes were Johnnycakes. The difference is masa harina or corn flour. It looks and feels like regular flour. Masa harina is finely ground and not gritty.
Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes are sweet and fluffy. The texture is like a regular pancake. The big difference is flavor. You’ll immediately taste corn. It’s a nice change from the usual.
How about more corn recipes? Scroll way down to find ones by Sunday Supper tastemakers. Also take a look at my Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn), Spicy Corn Casserole, Corn and Tomato Pizza, Hatch Chile Shrimp Corn Chowder, and Grilled Corn Relish. They’ll make you want to head to the market and get a bushel or two of corn. I’ll be heading for the bin of pre-shucked ears. Avoiding worms and corn silk is my plan.
Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes
- 1 cup masa harina see note
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder gluten-free
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Whisk together masa harina, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk together milk, eggs, and butter in a medium bowl.
Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
Gently fold in blueberries.
Heat a griddle or large frying pan over medium heat. Lightly butter or grease griddle. To test if it is hot enough, a drop of water will sizzle on the surface and evaporate immediately.
Pour about 1/4 cup batter onto griddle for each pancake.
Carefully flip pancake over when bottom is lightly browned and edges look dry and cooked, about 2 minutes.
Cook the other side until bottom is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
Serve pancakes immediately or keep them warm on a wire rack in a 200°F oven.
Enjoy pancakes with butter and maple syrup.
Masa harina is corn flour and commonly labeled as "Instant Corn Masa Flour" on the packaging. Do not substitute corn starch or cornmeal for masa harina.
Recipe adapted from Pancake on the Maseca website.
Are you ready for some ah-maize-ing goodness? Take a look at these recipes with corn by Sunday Supper tastemakers:
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days (recipe above)
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.