Whoever invented tailgating was one brilliant person. Or perhaps it was a group of people. Or it simply happened out of circumstance. I can’t think of a better way to combat the boredom of sitting outside a stadium waiting for a game than with food and beverages. Then the tailgating tradition crossed over from the stadium to homes. Putting out a spread on your own turf can be quite fun. It can be quite tasty too with these mini chorizo and cheese quiches.
These mini quiches were inspired by mini wine bottles. The kind folks at Gallo Family Vineyards sent me one each of their assortment of 187ml bottles (9 varieties). That alone got me fired up tailgating. The ideas were popping up like crazy. I needed help narrowing them down so I called upon my friend Terry. We agreed something like a little quiche or frittata would do nicely. She even let me borrow this awesome little truck for my photos. It is just perfect!
Chorizo and cheese are a heavenly match. I used Portuguese chouriço for these quiches. Look for it in the refrigerated deli meat section around hot dogs and other sausages. I also used manchego cheese because it seem to be the one most often paired with chorizo. Use Monterey jack, gruyere, or a mild cheddar if you cannot find manchego. Speaking of pairings, there are a lot of possibilities of which wine to pair with the quiches. Have some fun and get a variety of mini bottles and see which one you think pairs best. Tailgating and wine tasting at the same time is a winning game plan.
It’s tailgating season! Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards sharing fabulous recipes and wine pairings. Remember to get these adorable and convenient GFV’s mini bottles for your festivities. There is a $1 off coupon or rebate available (depending on your area). Scroll down to find a list and links to recipes from Sunday Supper contributors and check out Gallo’s BBQ wine pairings too. For another tailgating recipe of mine, check out Liptauer Cheese Spread.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3½ ounces chorizo sausage (refrigerated Portuguese chouriço recommended)
- 1 double crust pie crust dough (homemade or refrigerated store-bought)
- ¾ cup grated manchego cheese
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions (about 2 medium)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground or grated nutmeg
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 24 mini muffin cups.
- Remove and discard casing from chorizo. Finely dice the sausage.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced chorizo and cook until browned. Remove from heat to cool to room temperature.
- If using homemade dough, roll out thin (between ⅛- and ¼-inch).
- Use a round 2½-inch cutter to cut 24 rounds from the dough. Press 1 round into bottom and up the sides of each muffin cup.
- Divide cheese among muffin cups (about 1 to 1½ teaspoons per cup). Top each with green onions then cooked chorizo.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, salt, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly into crusts.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes. Use the tip of a knife to lift quiches from cups.
Are you searching for tailgating recipes? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring or paired with Gallo Family Vineyards wines:
- Bacon, Onion and Cheddar Sliders by The Redhead Baker
- Basil and Sundried Tomato Hummus by Ruffles & Truffles
- Braided Stromboli by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Braised Brats with Apples and Onions by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Cakes by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken and Chorizo Nachos by Family Foodie
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Greek Style Grilled Wings with Yogurt Dill Sauce by Supper for a Steal
- Meatball Subs with Garlic-White Wine Sauce by Foxes Love Lemons
- Mini Caprese Polenta Pizzas by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mini Chorizo and Cheese Quiches by Magnolia Days
- Pizza Rolls by Momma’s Meals
- Ricotta Toasts with Tomatoes by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Beef Chili by Jelly Toast
- Spicy Grilled Clams in Foil by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Strawberry Mint Red Moscato Sangria by Feed Me, Seymour
- Sun-dried Tomato and Feta Dip with Za’atar Chips by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Ultimate Stadium Nachos by Melanie Makes
- Veggie Pizza with Cauliflower Crust by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.