The rolling pin went back and forth again and again. The stubborn dough would not roll out and sprung back like elastic. Gentle pats could not coax it into a thin even disk. Stretching gave it the largest surface however oddly shaped. An attempt at spinning it caused it to fly off my hand and into the trash can. I am pizza rolling-out dough challenged. I have great respect for those who can make a perfectly thin and round pizza. Mine have more of a rustic appearance. At least you know it’s homemade.
Summer Berry Pizza is my first dessert pizza. To clarify, the first one I’ve made but not the first one I’ve eaten. Most of the sweet or dessert ones I’ve had are simply pie filling spread over a crust and topped with a glaze. I wanted something fresher and less gloppy sweet. Some gorgeous berries at the market inspired me to create this summer pizza. The color of the berries pop against the white of the mascarpone cheese. The glaze adds a small amount of sweetness to balance any tartness of the berries.
Independence Day is coming soon. I’ve teamed up with some very talented blogger friends to share recipes for the holiday. We have everything from beverages to desserts including my Summer Berry Pizza. It’s a fabulous July 4th Holiday Food Party for sure! Special thanks to Jen at Jen’s Favorite Cookies for hosting this event. Check out what we have to share:
- Berry Cheesecake Crumb Tart from Hungry Couple NYC
- California Burgers from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- 4th of July Ice Cream Cones from Roxana’s Home Baking
- Red, White & Blueberry Parfaits from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Red, White & Blue Deviled Eggs from Created by Diane
- Summer Berry Pizza from Magnolia Days
- Sparkling Pineapple Cake Martini from The Messy Baker
- Red, White & Bleu Mac ‘N Cheese from Juanita’s Cocina
- Red, White & Blue Vanilla Bean Spritzers from Pineapple and Coconut
- Red, White & Blue S’mores Pies from Big Bears Wife
- Lemon Raspberry Sugarless Cookies from What Smells so Good?
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Squares from Chocolate Moosey
- Berry Trifle from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Watermelon Mojito Ice Pops from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Are you ready to celebrate? Holidays are so much fun. Independence Day is so festive and cheerful. It can be hot so cool down with some ice cream, sorbet, or frozen yogurt. That is, after enjoying a nice dessert pizza. Double sweets? Why, yes! It is a holiday so splurge away.
Summer Berry Pizza
- 1 store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- Cornmeal or flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups mixed berries
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Place a pizza stone on the bottom oven rack.* Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
If making smaller pizzas, divide the dough into 4 equal pieces.
Roll, stretch, or pat out the dough to about 1/4-inch thickness on a rimless sheet or pizza peel lightly dusted with cornmeal or flour.
Brush the dough with melted butter.
Transfer the crust to the stone and bake until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
Cool baked crust completely on a wire rack.
Stir together the mascarpone cheese, lemon juice, and honey in a bowl.
Spread cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Top with berries.
Stir together confectioners sugar, vanilla, and enough milk for a drizzling consistency.
Drizzle glaze over berries.
*If you do not have a pizza stone, you can bake the crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment or non-stick liner.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.