Shaping rolls can be quite a challenge. It seems easy enough. Take a little piece of dough and roll it around until smooth. Sometimes you pull the side and pinch it together on the bottom. Mine rarely turn out smooth and round. Most of the time mine have what I’ll call a rustic look. So when I saw the method of spooning yeast dough into muffin cups, I was all in. That’s why I decided to make Savory Cheddar Rolls.
There was more than one reason actually. First is because of Bread Bakers. The host this month, Deepti of Baking Yummies, declared rolls as the theme. I procrastinated on deciding which rolls to make to the last minute. I was hesitant on another batch of sad shaped rolls and didn’t want to go with sweet rolls.
The other reason is cheese. Big puffy cheese rolls with savory flavors sounded mighty tempting. Something other than a regular yeast roll or wheat roll would be nice. The trio of sharp cheddar cheese, onion, and celery made me think of big family dinners. I was tempted to throw in some garlic yet didn’t because I wanted more emphasis on cheese and onion.
Savory Cheddar Rolls are quick and easy. Well, about as “quick” as homemade yeast rolls can be considered. There is only about an hour total for rising. It’s mixed in a bowl and no kneading involved. After the first rise, you stir down the dough and scoop or spoon it into a muffin pan. Let rise again then bake about 15 minutes. Then you have big, fluffy cheesy, and savory rolls to enjoy.
Do you prefer sweet or savory rolls? Okay, that can be a tough choice. Rather which savory or sweet roll is your favorite? Mine are classic cinnamon rolls for sweet and buttermilk rolls for savory. Scroll down to find the list of rolls baked for this month’s Bread Bakers. Each recipe is a click away. Have fun discovering new ones to try.
Savory Cheddar Rolls
- 3 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 2 packages instant dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg at room temperature
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese see note, at room temperature
Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
Whisk together 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, onion, salt, and celery seeds in a large bowl.
Heat milk, water, and shortening in a small saucepan until warm (120° to 130°F). Shortening does not have to melt.
Pour into flour mixture. Add egg. Use an electric stand mixer with a flat beater to blend at low speed until moistened. Increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes.
By hand, gradually stir in cheese and remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
Cover and let rise in a warm place until light and double, about 35 minutes.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Stir down dough. Spoon into muffin cups. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 30 minutes.
Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove rolls from muffin pan. Serve warm.
Hand grating or shredding the cheese is recommended.
Recipe adapted from one in the Red Star Centennial Bread Sampler cookbook published in 1981 (no longer in print).
It’s time to fill up the bread basket! Check out these recipes for savory and sweet rolls by talented Bread Bakers around the world:
- Anadama Rolls from Passion Kneaded
- Bulochki (Russian Sweet Yeast Rolls) from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Cinnamon Rolls from Bakingyummies
- Crescent Rolls from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Feta Olive Knots from Food Lust People Love
- Flax Oat Wheat Dinner Rolls from Cook’s Hideout
- Einkorn Parmesan and Garlic Rolls from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls from A Baker’s House
- Hokkaido Milk Rolls from Baking in Pyjamas
- Kahvalti – Turkish-style Breakfast Buns from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Masala Bread Rolls from Sneha’s Recipes
- Mini Cheddar Bialys from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Oatmeal Dinner Rolls from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pesto Rolls from Veg Nation
- Raspberry Sweet Rolls from Kylee Cooks
- Savory Cheddar Rolls from Magnolia Days
- Stuffed Vegatable Masala Buns from Spill the Spices
- Twisted Knotted Mint Garlic Rolls from Gayathri’s Cook Spot
- Wholewheat Low Fat Stuffed Cinnamon Rolls from Sizzling Tastebuds
What is Bread Bakers? It’s a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Bread Bakers Pinterest Board. Links are also updated after each event on the Bread Bakers home page.
How is the monthly theme determined? We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Would you like to join in the fun? If you are a food blogger, send an email with your blog name and url to Stacy at [email protected].