The halls are decked along with the den, kitchen, and dining room. Holiday decorations glow with a certain warmth even in bright mid-day sun. Invitations go out to family and friends. It definitely is the time for entertaining. A memorable meal can be any time of the day. It does not have to be a giant feast. It can be a simple lunch of Curried Turkey Salad served on lettuce.
A special holiday lunch is more special with wine. It is when the wine happens to be a limited edition one that pairs perfectly with the entrée. Gallo Family Vineyards Apple & Caramel Holiday White Blend is the wine to serve with Curried Turkey Salad. Both have apple; one sweet and one tart for a lovely balance. Caramel and pecans, well, you know how well those go together. Plus, as a triple bonus, the golden color of the salad on top of green lettuce is a very close match to the colors on the wine label.
Preparing a holiday lunch can be easy. Make this salad in the morning and chill it until serving. Mix together turkey, apple, celery, pecans, raisins, and onion. Whip up a mild curried cream and fold it into mayonnaise. Gently toss everything together. It is served on lettuce-lined plates and with a sprinkling of toasted coconut on top. What about dessert? Chocolate Fudge Cake would go fabulously with Gallo’s Mixed Berries & Chocolate Red Holiday Blend.
Wine can be an essential part of memorable holiday meals. Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards sharing special recipes and wine pairings. Gallo has these wonderful seasonal limited edition wines that can become a part of your holiday traditions. Head to the store to get them now before they are gone. Call Gallo’s Customer Care Team to find retailers carrying these wines in your area. There is a $1 off coupon or rebate available (depending on your area).
Curried Turkey Salad
For the salad:
- 2 cups chopped red delicious apple unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped cooked turkey white meat recommended
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup toasted and coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 red delicious apple
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Bibb or green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted coconut flakes
For the salad:
Place chopped apple and lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to coat apple with lemon juice. Add turkey, celery, pecans, raisins, and onion. Toss to combine.
Combine cream, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Beat at medium-high speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fold whipped mixture into mayonnaise.
Add curried dressing to turkey mixture. Gently toss to combine. Cover and chill thoroughly.
Core and thinly slice apple. Place slices in a bowl with water and lemon juice.
Arrange lettuce leaves on serving plates. Spoon turkey salad on lettuce. Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes on top.
Remove apple slices from lemon-water and arrange slices on plates. Discard lemon-water. Serve salads immediately.
This curried turkey salad is made with apples, celery, onion, raisins, and a mild yellow curry dressing. Serve it on lettuce and top with toasted coconut.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Our Best Christmas Recipes cookbook published in 1994.
Are you ready to make memorable holiday meals? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring or paired with Gallo Family Vineyards limited edition seasonal holiday wines:
- Holiday Crab & Shrimp Scramble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake Donuts by Ruffles & Truffles
- Spiced Apple Monkey Bread with White Wine Caramel by Curious Cuisiniere
- Strawberry Goat Cheese Pastry by Family Foodie
Memorable Main Dishes:
- Baked Swiss Cheese Fondue by Shockingly Delicious
- Curried Turkey Salad by Magnolia Days
- Glazed Ham with Red-eye Gravy by Nik Snacks
- Holiday Braised Short Ribs by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Delightful Desserts and Sweets:
- Berry Chocolate Mocha Mousse Dessert by Flavor Mosaic
- Caramel Apple Turnovers by In The Kitchen With KP
- Chocolate Mousse Cups by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fudgy Chocolate Berry Bundt Cake by Desserts Required
- Italian Wine Doughnut Cookies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Lemon Pound Cake by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Chocolate Cookie Cups by Alida’s Kitchen
- Red Wine Chocolate Truffles by Life Tastes Good
- Vanilla Cupcakes with White Wine Caramel Apple Compote by Feed Me, Seymour
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Snowballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.