Chocolate and butter are melting over a simmering pot of water. The oven is on and a pan awaits batter. Cocoa, sugar, vanilla, and flour are on the counter by the pot. Across the kitchen on another counter are cream cheese and eggs warming up from their chill in the fridge. A mixer is positioned by a big bowl. Everything is ready for making a decadent dessert. A few spills and splatters later, it goes in the oven for a final bake. Next comes cooling and chilling. The hardest part is waiting to enjoy an incredible Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake.
Everyone needs a little decadence from time to time. It’s something to look forward to and makes for a special celebration. It can also mark the start of a time of doing without. Such is the case with Fat Tuesday, a cherished day of indulgence before the Lenten season. Mardi Gras happens the day before Ash Wednesday. New Orleans throws the biggest celebration of it in America. Sunday Supper had to join in the fun with a Fat Sunday showcasing decadent, Mardi Gras, or New Orleans inspired food.
What to make for Fat Sunday? I had to go for the decadent option. First was deciding which decadence to feature. I considered something battered and deep fried for a split second. Butter-laden came to mind next. That took me to cream cheese and the possibilities with it. My thoughts went to cheesecake because of a recent discussion with my friend Terry and so I decided to go for the most indulgent one I’ve ever made.
Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake has layers of richness. The original recipe is one I saved years ago and I believe it is by Eagle Brand®. Only thing is it calls for boxed brownie mix and I wanted it all homemade. I used the recipe for my Just-Right Brownie and it worked out just right. The brownie layer is fudgy and dense. The next layer is a creamy cheesecake filled with mini chocolate chips. The crowning decadence is real whipped cream which conveniently covered up a major crack in the top. (Oops. Shhh! don’t tell anyone).
Do you celebrate Mardi Gras? I do only in the sense of using it as an excuse to eat something indulgent. Scroll down to find the list of Fat Sunday recipes by Sunday Supper contributors. Big thanks to Leslie of La Cocina de Leslie for hosting this fun event.
Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake
For the brownie layer:
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
For the cheesecake layer:
- 3 8- ounce packages cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 14- ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the topping
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the brownie layer:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom only of a 9-inch springform pan.
Stir together the chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of the flour in a small bowl.
Whisk together remaining flour and salt in a separate small bowl.
Melt the chocolate and butter in a large non-reactive bowl over a pan of simmering water. When the chocolate and butter has melted, remove it from the heat and stir in sugar and cocoa powder.
Whisk in the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Stir in flour until just moistened. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, or until set.
For the cheesecake layer:
Beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add condensed milk and beat until smooth.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat until just combined. Do not over beat.
Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour over brownie layer.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
Bake 50 minutes or until center is set. Cool to room temperature. Chill thoroughly overnight.
Remove side of springform pan.
For the topping:
Beat whipping cream using a mixer on medium speed until frothy.
Gradually add sugar while increasing mixer speed to high.
Beat until stiff peaks form.
Spread whipped cream over top of cheesecake.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Time stated does not include chilling cheesecake overnight.
Are you ready for more decadent and Mardi Gras food? Check out these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors:
Cocktails & Other Beverages:
- The Hurricane Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan
- The French 75 from Kimchi MOM
- Sweet Potato Pie Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fried Oysters and Remoulade from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Shrimp in Mustard Sauce from Noshing With The Nolands
- Mini Sweet Potato Pies from MealDiva
- Cajun Crab and Corn Beignets from Delaware Girl Eats
- Pancetta and Mushroom Arancini from Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Po Boy Recipe from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo from Supper for a Steal
- Sausage & Shrimp Jambalaya from Yours And Mind Are Ours
- Vegan Pizza Waffles from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Red Beans and Rice from Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Catfish Po’Boy from Curious Cuisiniere
- Muffaletta from Casa de Crews
- Bayou Seafood and Andouille Jambalaya from The Weekend Gourmet
- Seafood Gumbo from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cajun Rice & Beans from Momma’s Meals
- Celery Root Bisque (with Lobster) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Louisiana Roasted Barbecue Shrimp from Food Lust People Love
- Cajun Dirty Rice Bowls from The Dinner-Mom
- New Orleans Fried Chicken from Family Foodie
- Baked Endive and Pears in Blue Cream Sauce from Shockingly Delicious
- Okra Creole from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Banana Creme Pie with Honey Whipped Cream and Pecan Brittle from The Foodie Patootie
- Chocolate Ganache Tart from Melanie Makes
- Banana Bread Pudding from Gotta Get Baked
- Delicious Saffron Baked Beignets from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- New Orleans Bread Pudding with Caramel Whiskey Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Polish Paczki from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Buttermilk Beignets from The Messy Baker
- Eggless Bread Pudding in a Jar from What Smells So Good?
- Mint Julep Bars from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Long Johns from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Mexican Chocolate Coffee Cake from La Cocina de Leslie
- Fasnetküchle (Swabian Doughnuts) from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Cheesecake Swirl Brownies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pecan and Chocolate Pralines from Desserts Required
- Chocolate Raspberry Cake from Clarks Condensed
- Baked Coconut Beignets from Mess Makes Food
- Ravioli dolci di Carnevale from Manu’s Menu
- Strawberry Paczki from Neighborfood
- Blackberry Fritters from girlichef
- Brownie Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Magnolia Days
- Flourless Chocolate Cake in a Mug with Coconut Cream from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pecan Bars from Pies and Plots
- “Skinny Tuesday” Bananas Foster Cheesecake Parfaits from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Mocha Pear Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Skinny Baked Beignets from Daily Dish Recipes
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement