Has an email ever changed your life? And profoundly too? It is exactly what happened last week. We waited years and went through a process moving at glacial speed. Then finally the official notice arrived. My husband is now back doing the job he loves and everything we’ve been hoping, dreaming, and wishing for is in place. It feels incredible to have all the stress of the process gone. The future is once again bright. I’ve been making plans, doing a whole lot of smiling, and baking these sour cream chocolate chip cookies.
Okay, I baked cookies for another reason. It’s time again for the Creative Cookie Exchange. Our host this month, Tara of Noshing with the Nolands, selected Chips, Chunks, or Bits as the theme. It seemed like an easy one to do. Then I opened my pantry and realized how many different chips, chunks, and bits I have on hand. Oh the possibilities of what to make. I pulled out my old recipe binder to see if there was a recipe I had not made in a very long time. Sure enough, there was one for sour cream cookies and I cannot for the life of me remember where it came from. If only I had thought to write it on the recipe long ago.
Sour cream chocolate chip cookies are slice and bake. Chocolate chips were not in the original recipe. I figured mini chips would be easy to incorporate into the mix. The only issue was with slicing. The chips cause the slices not to be totally smooth. Some of the slices fell apart and I pushed them back together when placing them on the baking sheet.
How are the cookies? They are crunchy with the slightest vanilla flavor coming in behind chocolate. They are ones great for dipping in milk. I’m tempted to use them as sandwich cookies next time with peanut butter filling. Yes, I rather enjoy that combo – see my Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream as a perfect example.
What is your favorite chip, chunk, or bit? Scroll down to find a list of recipes and you may find one with it. The Creative Cookie Exchange bakers have some mighty delicious looking cookies to check out. Have fun baking and may your email inbox bring good news to you too.
Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat to combine.
Whisk together flour and baking soda. Add to butter/sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour, beating until just combined.
Stir in chocolate chips. Dough will be somewhat crumbly.
Divide dough in half. Firmly press and shape each half into a log 2 inches in diameter.
Wrap logs in parchment or wax paper. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liners.
Unwrap roll and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices on baking sheets 1 inch apart.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until edges have slightly browned. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 1 minute.
Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.
Prep time does not include time for chilling dough.
The Creative Cookie Exchange theme this month is Chips, Chunks, or Bits. If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura via email (thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com) and she will get you added to our Facebook group where discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Banana Pudding Bars from Study at Home Mama
- Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones from Spiceroots
- Chocolate Andes Mint Chip Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Chocolate Stout and Pretzel Cookies from Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Flourless Dark Chocolate Espresso Oatmeal Cookies from Rhubarb and Honey
- Gourmet Iced Oatmeal Raisin Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hazelnut Espresso Cookies from 2 Cookin’ Mamas
- Lemon Bits Oatmeal Cookies from Our Good Life
- Nibbed Caramel Blondies from What Smells So Good?
- Nutty Bits Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Peanut Butter Chunk Cookies from Noshing With The Nolands
- Rocky Road Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Strawberry n White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Trail Mix Cookies from Holly at A Baker’s House
- Uncle Hector’s 100 Cookies from Food Lust People Love