They were a team in the kitchen. Watching them prepare a meal together was like watching a well-orchestrated dance. Many times music was playing in the background. They knew their steps and would exchange taking the lead as needed. Now one of the partners is gone. Memories live on through the food they prepared and enjoyed together. One of their favorites is Hot Fudge Pudding Cake.
Who are those kitchen dancers and food lovers? They are my parents. My dad passed away a few years ago and is missed dearly. I think about him all the time, especially this time of year. It’s almost his birthday and Father’s Day. So when I was invited to participate in a virtual Father’s Day Feast event, it made me think of the book they gave me long ago that contains their favorite recipes.
The recipe book is not fancy. It is a plain black binder with pages typed by my mom and separated with standard index tabs. Some of the recipes are family ones like German Potato Salad, Dad’s Cornbread and Beef Stew. Some are ones they collected from friends like this Hot Fudge Pudding Cake.
Wine was a reason for making this cake. Why? Gallo Family Vineyards sent their Pinot Noir and Café Zinfandel to inspire recipes and pairings for the feast. All I had to see was how Café Zinfandel can stand up to a rich chocolate dessert. I ran to the kitchen and looked through that special book and found the recipe. Plus the wine has a medium sweetness and my dad preferred sweet wines.
About the Hot Fudge Pudding Cake: I discovered it is an old recipe with slight variations that can be found on countless internet sites and in cookbooks. I have no idea who created the original one. I can see why it is so popular. It is warm, comforting, rich, fudgy cake oozing with pudding. My version has a nod to my dad and includes a hint of coffee. He adored coffee and would not let a day pass without it.
Father’s Day is June 15th. Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards celebrating the wonderful dads in our lives. What better way to celebrate than with a feast of good food and wine? Head to the store and get GFV’s Café Zinfandel or Pinot Noir. Oh, and there is a $1 off coupon or rebate available (depending on your area). Scroll down to find a list and links to recipes and pairings for the wines.
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk at room temperature
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup hot strong-brewed coffee
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
Whisk together 3/4 cup sugar, flour, 1/4 cup cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
Whisk together 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1/4 cup cocoa in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
Combine water and coffee. Gently pour over top. Do not mix.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until center is almost set. Let cool 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.
A recipe for Hot Fudge Pudding Cake. It is a rich and fudgy brownie-like chocolate cake that makes its own pudding bottom as it bakes.
Are you ready for a Father’s Day feast? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring or paired with Gallo Family Vineyards Café Zinfandel or Pinot Noir:
Father’s Day Salads and Main Dishes:
- Avocado and Quinoa Salad by Ruffles & Truffles
- Baked Lentil Chilaquiles Casserole by Shockingly Delicious
- Barbecue Chicken with Pinot Noir Blueberry Sauce by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken in a Caramelized Onion Wine Sauce by Family Foodie
- Filet Mignon with Mushrooms and Pinot Noir Sauce by Hip Foodie Mom
- French Onion Soup au Gratin Stuffed Meatballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Southwestern Zinfandel Glaze by Cooking On The Ranch
- Jambalaya Kabobs by Foxes Love Lemons
- Man Burgers Stuffed with Pinot Noir Caramelized Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Marinated Flank Steak by The Foodie Army Wife
- Mushroom Topped Pinot Noir Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pinot Noir Glazed Salmon by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pinot Noir Mushroom Reduction Sauce with Grilled T-Bone Steak by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Red Wine Meatball Subs by Momma’s Meals
Father’s Day Sweets and Treats:
- Angel Food Cake Smores Skewers by Melanie Makes
- Cafe Zinfandel Cake & Pinot Noir Quinoa by NinjaBaking.com
- Cherry Pinot Noir Pie by girlichef
- Chocolate Decadence with Cafe Zinfandel Whipped Cream and Raspberry Sauce by Desserts Required
- Hot Fudge Pudding Cake by Magnolia Days
- Pinot Noir Dark Chocolate Truffles by Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.