He was pouring the bubbly into a big bowl. Strawberries floated and almost danced with the bubbles. You could see a certain smile on his face. It was clear this was a special celebration. The family was gathered under one roof which only happened every few years. This gathering called for a particular special beverage none other than German Strawberry Wine Punch aka Erdbeerbowle.
The man making the punch is my uncle. He made it for us when we visited him in Germany many years ago. Erdbeerbowle is a popular beverage in the summertime. It’s very easy to make and adapt to your taste too. My uncle uses white or rosé wine and champagne (sekt in German). I used Gallo Family Vineyards Riesling and Sweet Red along with a California brut sparkling wine. All you do is let strawberries soften (or macerate) with sugar then pour some of the wine over them to soak. A little while later, add more chilled wine then chilled sparkling right before serving.
German Strawberry Wine Punch sweetness can vary. If you use sweeter wines or more sugar then it will be quite sweet. The opposite if you use dry wines and less sugar. You can also add a small amount of lemon juice for a touch of tartness. The amount of wine you use can vary too. This is not a strict recipe. Have fun and make it to your taste. The color of the punch depends on the wine used. It can be anywhere from light pink to dark red. It’s great for entertaining and celebrations such as with Labor Day.
One other note about Riesling: It has been a part of my entire life, obviously because of my German heritage. It was the first wine I tasted when I became old enough to have it. My dad especially enjoyed Spätlese and Auslese, the sweeter ones. I’m certain he would like Gallo’s Riesling if he were still here. I thought about him as I first tasted it at the Food and Wine Conference. The wine’s light-bodied sweetness plus the peach and citrus flavors make it great choice for sipping with friends and family.
Labor Day will be here soon. Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards sharing fabulous recipes and wine pairings. Remember to get GFV’s Riesling or Sweet Red when preparing for your celebration. There is a $1 off coupon or rebate available (depending on your area). Scroll down to find a list and links to recipes from Sunday Supper contributors and check out Gallo’s Labor Day recipes too.
Are you ready for Labor Day? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring or paired with Gallo Family Vineyards Riesling or Sweet Red wines:
Labor Day Beverages:
- German Strawberry Wine Punch (Erdbeerbowle) by Magnolia Days
- Ginger Plum Sangria by Jelly Toast
- Lemon Lime Wine Sparkle by Basic N Delicious
- Watermelon Wine Cooler with Lime by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Labor Day Savory Bites:
- Breakfast Sausages with Apples & Riesling by Webicurean
- Buffalo Ranch Pasta Salad by Foxes Love Lemons
- Clams in White Wine Sauce with Goat Cheese Crostini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Deconstructed Egg Rolls by Ruffles & Truffles
- Peach Mango Grilled Chicken over Quinoa by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Sausage Mushroom and Bacon Pasta by Family Foodie
- Whipped Feta & Grilled Peach Salad with Blueberry Balsamic Vinaigrette by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Labor Day Desserts:
- Brown Butter Grilled Peach Cupcakes with Riesling Frosting by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mango Riesling Coulis by Run DMT
- Orange Creamsicle Cheesecake by Desserts Required
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Brownies by Alida’s Kitchen
- Peach Granita Sundaes by Melanie Makes
- Peach Riesling Buckle by girlichef
- Riesling Infused Peach and Blueberry Cobbler by In The Kitchen With KP
- Riesling Poached Peaches with Mascarpone Cream by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Wine Ice Cream by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.