Thanksgiving is coming soon. It’s the time to gather family and friends to celebrate the good in our lives. It’s also time to pitch in and help when needed. Sometimes it could be as simple as bringing a dish to a big meal. Lending a hand to the host is always a good thing. What to bring can be a tough choice. I have two recommendations: wine and Autumn Crunch Salad.
Wine brings cheers to holiday gatherings. The kind folks at Gallo Family Vineyards take the cheers up a notch. They understand the importance of giving back to the community and helping those in need. Their Every Cork Counts collection program helps end senior isolation and hunger. Gallo will donate $1 for every cork photo submitted (up to $50,000) to Meals on Wheels. Go here for more details: Every Cork Counts.
Autumn Crunch Salad is great to make and take. Napa cabbage, Brussels sprouts, and radicchio stay crunchy after tossing it with dressing. It’s best about an hour after being tossed. Although, I had some the next day and it wasn’t soggy or wilted. Oh, and the dressing keeps the apple slices from turning brown too. It’s as pretty when you serve it as it was when you made it.
Which wines pair with the salad? Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio is spot on. It has flavors of apple and citrus – both components in the salad. A great choice for a red is their Pinot Noir. It is medium bodied and its earthy flavors match with Brussels sprouts and radicchio.
What else to make to give as thanks to others? You could bake Norwegian Almond Cookies or a Peppermint Cappuccino Cake. There are lots of choices below with recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers. Scroll down to see the list. Each one pairs wonderfully with Gallo Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio and Pinot Noir. Also take a look at Gallo’s Holiday Traditions blog post for more tips and inspiration.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on the company, vineyards, and their wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Their website has lots of information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines plus wine pairing notes and a handy store locator.
Autumn Crunch Salad
For the honey tangerine dressing:
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon grated tangerine zest
- 1/3 cup fresh tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
For the salad:
- 1 head Napa cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/2 head radicchio thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts thinly sliced
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 apple Honeycrisp recommended, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
For the honey tangerine dressing:
Place mustard, honey, garlic, shallot, tangerine zest and juice, vinegar, salt and pepper in a blender. Blend on high speed until combined.
Turn blender to low speed and slowly drizzle in oil.
For the salad:
Combine cabbage, radicchio, Brussels sprouts, shallot, apples, pine nuts, and raisins in a large bowl.
Pour dressing over salad and toss gently. Cover and chill for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
Toss again just prior to serving.
Autumn Crunch Salad combines flavors and produce of the season with a citrus dressing. It's a salad to make and take to potlucks and parties.
Do you give thanks with food? Check out these marvelous recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers along with Gallo Family Vineyards wine pairings:
- Antipasto by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blue Cheese, Fig, and Caramelized Onion Palmiers by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Crusty Artisan Style Bread by Life Tastes Good
- Grandma’s Oyster Stew by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Turkey Croquets with Mushroom Sauce by Basic N Delicious
Salads and Sides:
- Autumn Crunch Salad by Magnolia Days
- Cranberry Pecan Turkey Salad by Family Foodie
- Harvest Chopped Salad by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Kicked Up Oven Roasted Red Potatoes by Recipe for Perfection
- Roasted Squash and Wild Rice Salad by Ruffles and Truffles
- Rustic Herbed Stuffing with Greens by Shockingly Delicious
- Fig Basted Roast Butternut Squash with Quinoa, Apple, and Fig Stuffing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Paella by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Balsamic Beef by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Desserts and Sweets:
- Chocolate Gingerbread Blondies by Food Done Light
- Cinnamon Spice Coffee Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Cranberry Orange Coffeecake With Brown Sugar Crumb by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Dark Chocolate Caramel Bark by Take a Bite Out of Boca
- Pumpkin Angel Pie by Desserts Required
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake by Alida’s Kitchen
Plus 10 Ways to Give Thanks by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.