Did someone say “foodball”? Because that is what I heard. I’m quite sure they probably said “football” however my brain translates it automatically. The only time I watch football is either when it is playing on the TV at a local pub or at a friend’s home. Either way food is involved. Game day nibbles are oh so good. Rosemary White Bean Dip is a tasty appetizer to munch on while watching a game.
A certain big football game is coming soon. It’s the season-ending one where the champion team is determined. That is not new or breaking news. It is only funny because if it were not for the food I would have no idea of when it occurs. I can’t even tell you which teams are playing in it. What I can tell you is I’ll be there for the festivities. I’ll be chowing while everyone is cheering.
Rosemary White Bean Dip is an easy to make and healthy appetizer. Yea, I know, game day food typically has more of a splurge aspect. We all need a balance though. All you need to make it is a food processor. Put it all in the bowl, process it, and you are done. It is best when made a few hours before serving. I also strongly recommend using good quality extra virgin olive oil since it is used both in the dip and drizzled on top. There is no sense in having a flavorless light oil as a garnish.
How does the dip taste? Cannellini beans (aka white kidney beans) are the base. They are quite bland and heavy on their own. Citrus lightens them up. Rosemary adds freshness. Garlic accents and gives its wonderful flavor punch. The texture is similar to hummus. Actually this dip could be made into hummus by adding in tahini. Serve the dip with an assortment of crudités, pita chips, or crackers.
Game day food needs beverages to go with them. I paired the dip with Gallo Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon. The citrus flavors in the Sauvignon Blanc matched up with fresh lemon juice in the dip. Rosemary is an intense flavored herb that stands up to a full-bodied red wine such as the Cabernet.
Are you getting ready for the big game? Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards to share winning “Supper Bowl” appetizer recipes and wine pairings. Scroll down to see what my fellow Sunday Supper contributors are bringing to our virtual big game event. Also look at Gallo’s football finger foods, tips for hosting the big game, and game day entertaining & pairings. Make Cherry Cream Cheese Bites for a crowd-pleasing dessert.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on the company, vineyards, and their wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Their website has lots of information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines plus wine pairing notes and a handy store locator.
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling on top)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Place all ingredients except sprigs in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a knife blade. Process until smooth. Stop and scrape down sides as needed.
- Transfer dip to a serving bowl. Lightly drizzle olive oil on top. Garnish with rosemary sprigs.
- Best when made a couple of hours prior to serving.
- Serve with vegetables, pita chips, sliced baguette, or crostini.
Recipe adapted from Cottage Living magazine June 2008 edition.
Are you ready for the big game? Or looking for appetizers and snacks for entertaining? Take a look at these “Supper Bowl” recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring or pairing with Gallo Family Vineyards wines:
- Bacon and Cheese Pretzel Bites by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Bison Burger Sliders by Nosh My Way
- Baked Southwestern Eggrolls by Flavor Mosaic
- Buffalo Chicken Loaded Baked Sweet Potato Fries by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesy Baked Arancini by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Chorizo Cheese Dip by Casa de Crews
- Cuban Sandwich Sliders by Recipe for Perfection
- Everything Bagel Breadsticks & Smoked Salmon Dip by Foxes Love Lemons
- Kicked Up Texas Caviar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Mini Mexican Tarts by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Chicken Meatballs with Queso by Curious Cuisiniere
- Philadelphia Cheesesteak Dip by Family Foodie
- Pizza Quinoa Bites by Alida’s Kitchen
- Polenta Crostini with Mushroom Sauce by Brunch with Joy
- Rosemary White Bean Dip by Magnolia Days
- Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sausage & Caramelized Onion Pita Pizza by The Messy Baker
- Spicy Sticky Chicken Wings and Onion Rings by Nik Snacks
- Spicy Stuffed Mushrooms by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Sweet & Spicy Mango Meatballs by Peanut Butter and Peppers
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.