Citrus and seafood go together like peanut butter and chocolate. It’s a magical combination in the food world. One enhances the other and brings out the best in both. Chocolate on its own is lovely. Add peanut butter and it’s divine. Citrus gives a certain freshness to seafood no matter how it is prepared. One of my favorite combinations is seared cod with grapefruit fennel slaw. I’ve made it often during grapefruit season. Sometimes I switch out the fish to halibut depending on availability.
I discovered this dish years ago. If you have been following along my blog, you may remember how my husband and I have very different tastes in seafood (not counting shellfish). He only wants it battered and fried. I want it every way except that. I’ll take it raw (sushi/sashimi), steamed, seared, broiled, grilled, and roasted. Back when he worked evening shifts is when I cooked more seafood for myself. Seared cod with grapefruit fennel slaw was one of my go-to meals. I like the slaw so much I would eat the leftovers with sandwiches or as a side.
One thing is learned to do is segmenting a grapefruit. I’m not fond of the chewy membranes and I don’t think many people like them either. It is why most people cut a grapefruit in half and dig out the pulp. To segment, cut off the top and bottom, cut off the peel and pith, and then cut out the pulp close to the membrane. Handle the segments delicately because they will come apart easily. They will come apart in the slaw after it sits for a bit. It does not affect the flavor, it is only a visual change.
Citrus goes with much more than seafood. Have you seen my citrus cocktail? Or lemon pie tartlets? Or salad dressing? There are more recipes to be discovered too. Today’s Sunday Supper event is all about celebrating citrus. Get your juicer and zester ready because there are so many wonderful recipes you will want to try:
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
It’s time to head to the store and get more fruit. I am certainly craving citrus after reading all those recipes. Now what will I make next? Who knows. Which citrus fruit would you want to use first?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Announcing the Food and Wine Conference sponsored by Sunday Supper! It’s being held July 19th – 21st in beautiful, sunny Orlando, FL. It’s a must for food bloggers. Check it out by clicking here -> Food and Wine Conference
Recipe adapted from one by Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network website.