The restaurant looked promising online. We arrived to find it overflowing with people. The wait was well over an hour. We headed to the bar after we put our name on the list. Wine was ordered and someone mentioned the tables around the bar were first come first serve. Right then the people at the table next to where we were standing got up. We filled those seats faster than the speed of sound (or it seemed that way). The dinner exceeded every expectation. We decided to have dessert to end the meal. The waiter brought a rack of mini desserts in small glasses. It’s those little bites that inspired my mini blueberry cream cheese pies.
Notice the pies are in jars. It’s because the theme for this week’s Sunday Supper are recipes inspired by the Desserts in Jars cookbook by Shaina Olmanson. It’s easy to be inspired by the book. Shaina gives tips and suggestions for utilizing different kinds of jars for desserts. First I had to figure out what jars to use. Then I had the idea of spice jars. Next was deciding on a recipe. I was in the mood for blueberries so I adapted the one for my cherry cream cheese pie.
The fun was getting the pies into the jars. I spooned in the crust and shook the jars around to get the crust even. I did not bother with pressing down the crust. I used a piping bag with a big round tip for the cream cheese filling. A thin spoon worked for adding the blueberry topping. They are pretty little single-serving pies with a crumbly crust, creamy filling, and fruity topping.
Would you like to win a copy of the cookbook? All you have to do is comment on what dessert you would want in a jar. Entries will be assigned a number and the winner selected using Random.org. The winner will be notified by email. If the winner does not respond in 48 hours an alternate winner will be selected. Contest ends on Friday, June 28, 2013 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Contest is only for United States citizens, with a US shipping address, and over the age of 18.
You can purchase the cookbook. All you have to do is click on the photo of the cookbook to go to Amazon (affiliate link):
But wait! More good news: Join us during the #SundaySupper twitter chat on Sunday, June 23, 2013 and you could win one ticket to the Food and Wine Conference and a two night stay during the conference at the beautiful Rosen Shingle Creek. Everyone that joins the chat will be entered to win.
What exciting giveaways! There are more Desserts in Jars inspired recipes below. Scroll down and check them out…
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can blueberry pie filling
- Stir together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese using an electric hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add sweetened condensed milk and beat to combine.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and beat to combine.
- Divide the crust mixture among the jars. Use a spoon or shake the jars to even out the crust. Pressing down the crust is optional.
- Pipe or spoon cream cheese filling evenly over the crusts.
- Top each with blueberry pie filling.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving.
Ready for more Desserts in Jars? Take a look at these recipes from the Sunday Supper bloggers:
- Summer Fruit Fool in Jars by Shockingly Delicious
- Banana Split Cakes in a Jar by Daily Dish Recipes
- Baked Cheesecake In A Jar by Chocolate Moosey
- Key Lime Pies in a Jar by Home Cooking Memories
- Fudgy Brownie Mix by What Smells So Good?
- 5 Minute Coffee Cake in a Jar by Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Mess by Jane’s Adventure’s in Dinner
- Mini Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies by Magnolia Days
- Peach Crisp in Jars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes by Hip Foodie Mom
- Salted Caramel Frozen Yogurt by Healthy.Delicious
- Boston Cream Pie Trifle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Egg Cream in A Jar by Growing Up Gabel
- Cinnamon Espresso Bread Pudding in a Jar by Country Girl in the Village
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake in a Jar by Runner’s Tales
- Blueberry Thyme Pie in a Jar by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Caramel Panna Cotta in a Jar by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Layered Melon Granitas in Jars by Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Velvet Wedding Cake In A Jar by Foxes Love Lemons
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Mascarpone in a Jar by Gotta Get Baked
- Nutella Panna Cotta in a Jar by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie in a Jar by Big Bears Wife
- Bacon Bourbon Bread Pudding by The Urban Mrs
- Cinnamon Caramel Affogatos by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Ice Cream by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Midori Melon Flower Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Triple Berry Crisp in a Jar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Guilt-Free Blueberry Cream Cheese Gingerbread in a Jar by Eat, Move, Shine
- Gluten Free Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread in a Jar by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Roasted Strawberry Coconut Cream Parfaits With Toasted Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Banana Ice Box Trifle In A Jar by In the Kitchen with KP
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosures: This post contains affiliate links. I received a copy of Desserts in Jars at no charge for a previous event (see Monster Cookie Mix) and was under no obligation to give a positive review. All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated or within a guest post.