Cars, trucks, and campers were parked as far as the eye could see. The air was filled with a heavenly scent wafting from grills and smokers. Fans congregated around waiting for the feast. Music of all types could be heard while walking through the lots. Tailgating is one of the highlights of attending a major sports event. Football and racing fans really know how to do it right. The food and beverages served range from simple appetizers to gourmet meals. Liptauer cheese spread is a tasty appetizer for any tailgate whether is at the venue or your home.
Tailgating is something I haven’t done in a long time. However, party food is a different story. Tailgating food and party food are about the same thing as far as I’m concerned. There’s something special about it. Perhaps because it usually involves a gathering of people having fun. It’s a time filled with laughing, eating, drinking, and sharing with friends and family.
Liptauer cheese spread is a quick and easy appetizer. It’s made with some of my favorite ingredients. First there’s cream cheese and butter as the base. You know it’s good when it starts out that way. Then a little sour cream goes in along with spicy mustard, onion, and capers to make it nice and savory. Paprika and caraway seeds give it a European flair. Mix it all up, chill it for a bit, and then serve it with cocktail bread or crackers. Or you might find yourself eating it with a spoon which I may or may not have done a few times. Washing it down with a glass of wine or a daiquiri is quite nice too.
Do you tailgate at a sports event or celebrate the game at home? If so, you need recipes whether it is for being at the venue, in your living room, or in your back yard. If not, you still need recipes for any party or entertaining. Be sure to scroll down to find a list and links to lots of recipes. The Sunday Supper bloggers have an incredible offering for the Tailgating event.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped capers
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1½ teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir together or use an electric mixer on low speed to combine until smooth.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with cocktail bread and/or crackers.
Recipe adapted from the Gulden’s Makes Good Food Taste Great Cookbook (Amazon Affiliate link)
Want to make your tailgating the best ever? Here are recipes by Sunday Supper bloggers that are great for fueling up before the game or while you are cheering your team on to victory:
Warm Ups (Appetizers):
- Bacon and Onion Dip by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Fajita Dip and Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
- Corn and Black Bean Dip by Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Crab Rangoons by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Double Cheese Dill Scones by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Fried Yucca With Pink Sauce by Basic N Delicious
- Grilled Gameday Nachos by Supper for a Steal
- Homemade Potato Chips w/ Blue Cheese Sauce by girlichef
- Liptauer Cheese Spread by Magnolia Days
- Mahogany Baked Chicken Wings by The Dinner-Mom
- Mexican Corn Dip by Growing Up Gabel
- Pizza Dip by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Posh Pigs In a Blanket by The Weekend Gourmet
- Pretzel Nuggets by I Run For Wine
- Roasted Garlic & Tomatillo Salsa Verde by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Savory Baked Pinwheel’s by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Sesame Glazed Cauliflower “Wings” by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Stuffed Banana Pepper Bites by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet Potato Hummus by Alida’s Kitchen
- Sweet Potato Skins by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Tortilla Wrapped Hot Dogs by La Cocina de Leslie
- VJ Catch-erole by My Other City By The Bay
Game Time (Main Dishes and Sides):
- 1,2,3,4,5 Chinese Spareribs by The Urban Mrs
- Bacon Burger Sliders by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Carrot Slaw by The Foodie Army Wife
- Cheerwine BBQ Pulled Pork by Nik Snacks
- Chicken, Bacon, Ranch Quesadillas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chicken, Brie and Apple Turnovers by Shockingly Delicious
- Crockpot Beef on Weck Sliders by Healthy. Delicious.
- Easy Grilled Chicken Caesar Sandwiches by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Chicken Sandwiches by Foxes Love Lemons
- Frito Olé by Home Cooking Memories
- Gomoku Treasure Rice by NinjaBaking.com
- Grilled Fajita Kebabs by CuriousCuisiniere
- Hatch Chile Pimento Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Italian Tuna and Shells Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pressed Brick Sandwich by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pulled Lamb Barbecue Sandwiches by The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Neighborfood
- Smoky Turkey Burgers by Webicurean
- Snorker and Spicy Slaw Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
- Tandoori BBQ Chicken by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Overtime (Drinks and Desserts):
- Coconut Funfetti Ice Cream Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Funfetti Sugar Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Individual Elvis Pies by Treats & Trinkets
- Portuguese Sangria by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement