The official celebration for Julia Child’s 100th birthday begins today, Sunday, August 5th, 2012. The celebration runs through to her birthday on August 15th. I am so excited about it and even started the celebration early. Do you know who else is excited about it? I do! It is the wonderful team of Sunday Supper bloggers. Today’s #CookForJulia event features recipes and inspiration from Julia.
Dining with one’s friends and beloved family is certainly one of life’s primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal. – Julia Child
What a quote! It shows that Julia knew the value of gathering around the family table for a good meal. I can only imagine what her Sunday Suppers were like. Just think of her table filled with all the incredible food and surrounded by her loved ones. It had to be a delightful experience. It is also something each of us can do with our own family and friends. That is what Sunday Supper is all about.
I am sharing a recipe for tuna salad nicoise. It is one of my favorite salads. It is also one I discovered only a few years ago thanks to my friend Terry who took me to a French restaurant for my birthday. I immediately fell in love with it as soon as I took my first bite. It is a beautiful salad loaded with so many of the foods I enjoy – tuna, olives, potatoes, eggs, and green beans. The lemon dressing ties everything together in such a nice way.
My recipe is general in nature. I have provided a list of ingredients without quantities. You can use your best judgement based on the amount of salad you want to make. It can be for one person or many. The recipe includes using French Potato Salad and Oil and Lemon Dressing. The original recipe serves six and you can find it in Julia Child’s “The Way to Cook” cookbook:
The list of recipes for this event is a big one. Please visit each one because it will be more than just a recipe. The stories behind each, Julia’s inspiration, and much more can be found on these blogs. I cannot wait to read them all:
- Râpée Morvandelle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Croissants by Cookistry
- Cheese and Bacon Quiche by Tora’s Real Food
- Tuna Salad Nicoise by Magnolia Days
- Blood Orange, Walnut, and Rocket Salad by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Croque Monsieur by Webicurean
- Spinach and Cream Cheese Pancakes by Happy Baking Days
- Julia’s Chicken Salad by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Pissaladière Niçoise (Onion Tart with Anchovies and Black Olives) by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Provencal Tomato Quiche by Are you hungry?
- Quiche Lorraine by Spoon and Saucer
- Potato and Onion Soup (Potage Parmentier) by Shockingly Delicious
- Bouillabaisse by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Boeuf Bourguignon by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Orecchiette Con Broccoli Di Rape and Sausages by Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Boeuf Bourguignon by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Veal Stew with Onions and Mushrooms with Baked Cucumbers and Boiled Potatoes (Blanquette de veau a l’ancienne with concombres au buerre) by Kimchi Mom
- Salmon en Papillote by Girlichef
- Poached salmon with cucumber sauce by Katherine Martinelli
- Lobster Souffle and Deviled Chicken by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Roasted Chicken with Julia’s Mustard Marinade by The Meltaways
- Wild Mushroom and Herb Stuffed Chicken by Mama Mommy Mom
- Puree of White Beans with Garlic and Herbs (Brandade á la Soissonaise) by Avocado Pesto
- Julia’s Kunming Connection: Chinese Steampot Chicken by My Kitchen and I
- Poulet au Porto by Family Foodie
- Hollondaise over Blanched Asparagus by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Scalloped Potatoes with Milk, Cheese, and Garlic (Gratin Dauphinois) by Home Cooking Memories
- Ratatouille by Basic N Delicious
- French-style country pate by There and Back Again
- White Bean Dip with Homemade Tortilla Chips by Momma’s Meals
- Oeufs à la Diable by What Smells So Good?
- Soubise by The Weekend Gourmet
- Ratatouille by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cream Cheese and Lemon Flan by Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Sherbert in Cooky Cups by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Creme Brulee by Wine Everyday
- Mousseline Au Chocolat by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peach Tarte Tatin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Toast Flan by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dark Chocolate Crepes by Family Spice
- Crepes Fines Sucrees by Mangoes and Chutney
- Pommes Rosemarie: Apples Rosie by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Espresso Soufflé by Chocolate Moosey
- Best Ever Brownies by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Orange-Almond Jelly Roll Cake by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Orange Spongecake Cupcakes by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Orange Mousse with Greek Yogurt by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Frozen Chocolate Mousse by Big Bear’s Wife
#CookForJulia Wine Pairings:
- Relishing Food and Wine; Thanks to Julia Child! by ENOFYLZ
Join in the celebration each Sunday. We start at 3pm ET by tweeting, pinning, and showcasing recipes and food photos. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and share yours too. The live twitter chat starts at 7pm ET. Take a look at and follow our Pinterest board.
What is your favorite Julia Child quote? She had a lot of good ones. Share yours and why you like it. I have my favorite one to share in an upcoming post next week. Stay tuned!