September is Hunger Action Month. There is a national campaign to raise awareness and encourage people to take action and help get food to those in need. I am proud, honored, and thrilled to be a part of a special cookbook of healthy affordable slow cooker meal recipes called Where Slow Food and Whole Food Meet: healthy slow cooker dinners from our kitchens to yours. All of the proceeds from the book benefit the Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida. To see a short video on the book click here: Cookbook Promo Video
Over 30 bloggers teamed up to put together this cookbook. It includes my recipe for Chicken, Potato, and Barley Stew. You have to purchase the book to get that recipe. The book also includes the recipe for Slow-Cooker Island Pulled Pork featured in this post (the recipe is way down at the very bottom so keep scrolling down to get to it). Click on the photo of the book to purchase it on Amazon. It is a gorgeous book with recipes, tips, and more.
You can also get it as an eBook. Feeding America food banks across the country are giving the eBook version as a free gift to their donors. If you make a donation you will be given the eBook as a free gift. Donate right now and get your free eBook by clicking here: Feed Hope Now
We have generous sponsors. They have joined with us to help get the word out about hunger in America and our cookbook. Grimmway Farms, Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce, and San Miguel Produce are contributing food to their local food banks and giving $5 per book sold to the food bank (up to $600 and that is in addition to the proceeds from book sales going to the food bank). There are also some wonderful giveaways thanks to them and Hamilton Beach.
About the giveaways: I am giving away two prizes. One is a combination of a Hamilton Beach Set & Forget® Programmable 6 Quart Slow Cooker (model 33464) and a copy the cookbook. The other is a copy of the cookbook. The co-editors of the book, Christine and Jennifer, are also giving away one prize of free carrots for a year from Grimmway Farms, one prize of free greens for a year from San Miguel and a potato prize pack from Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce including 40 pounds of potatoes and 1 Bamboo Bowl, 1 cutting board, 1 pepper mill, 1 measuring spoon set, 1 recipe booklet, 1 about potatoes booklet. Many of the participating bloggers are also doing giveaways so visit each one and enter to win on their blogs too. Scroll down to see the list of bloggers with links to each.
How to enter my giveaway: Either purchase the cookbook or donate to a food bank (or both) and leave a comment letting me know which one you did. I’m using the honor system and taking your word for it so I’m trusting you did your part.
My giveaway details: Giveaway is for United States residents only. Contest runs from Monday, September 8, 2014 and ends on Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 11:59pm Eastern Time. Winners will be selected from valid entries using a random draw. Winners will be notified via email and they have 3 days to respond or alternate winner(s) will be selected. Good luck!
We are having a twitter parties too. It is to help get the word out about hunger and how our book is helping. Print copies of the cookbook will be given away at all of them and some will have extra prizes as well including another slow cooker. Our main twitter party is September 18, 2014 at 9pm Eastern Time. Follow and tweet with the #slowNwholeCookbook hashtag to keep up with the conversation. We will also be joining Courntey Crozier, former contestant from The Biggest Loser, for her weekly #justcrunchem twitter parties on September 11, 18, and 25th from 8-9pm Eastern Time.
Here are participating cookbook bloggers. The recipe title is the one they did for the book. The link goes to their cookbook launch post. Visit them to find more chances to enter to win giveaways:
- Autumn Apple Chicken Sandwiches from Chocolate & Carrots
- Balsamic Orange Roast Beef from a farmgirl’s dabbles
- Barbacoa Tacos from My Baking Heart
- Broccoli and Cheese Potato Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Butternut Squash Vegetarian Chili from Nutmeg Nanny
- Chicken, Potato and Barley Stew from Magnolia Days
- Chicken Burrito Bowls from Two Healthy Kitchens
- Chicken Cacciatore from Poet in the Pantry
- Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic from Around My Family Table
- Chinese Beef and Broccoli from Very Culinary
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken from Mother Thyme
- Cuban Black Bean Soup from Food n’ Focus
- Cuban Seafood Stew from The Kitchen Prep
- Harvest Chili from WonkyWonderful
- Italian Beef Sandwiches from Yummy Healthy Easy
- Lentil, Sausage and Kale Stew from Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Macaroni and Cheese With Sugar Snap Peas from Brooklyn Farm Girl
- Mango Chicken from Stetted
- Pork Meatballs in Marinara Sauce from Savvy Eats
- Pork Tenderloin Florentine from All Day I Dream About Food
- Pumpkin, Chicken and Spinach Tortellini Soup from An Edible Mosaic
- Spiced Lentil Stew from Je suis alimentageuse
- Strawberry-Habanero Pulled Chicken from Healthy. Delicious
- Sweet and Spicy Carnitas from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Sweet Italian Sausage and Peppers from Sweet Remedy
- Tex-Mex Scalloped Potato and Carrot Dinner from Cook the Story
- Thai Coconut Curry Beef and Broccoli from Food Faith Fitness
- Thai Pork with Vermicelli Salad from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Vegetarian Pumpkin White Chili from Kitchen Treaty
- Whole Tuscan Chicken from The Little Kitchen
Stay in touch with our partners and sponsors:
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida: Facebook | Newsletter
- Feeding America (National): Website | Facebook | Twitter
- Hamilton Beach: Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
- Old Oak Farms by RPE Produce: Twitter | Facebook
- Grimmway Farms: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
- San Miguel Produce Inc:
Thank you very much for taking action to help get food to those in need. Your support is greatly appreciated. Oh, and about the Slow-Cooker Island Pulled pork. It has wonderful jerk spices and flavors. Serve it as-is or on a sandwich with your favorite BBQ sauce and fresh cilantro. It is a recipe I know I’ll make often since I very much enjoy those Caribbean flavors.
Disclosures: Links to the cookbook on Amazon are affiliate links. I received a Hamilton Beach slow cooker at no charge in exchange for offering a giveaway for one in this cookbook launch. I was under no obligation to post a review for the slow cooker. I am not receiving any compensation for participation in the cookbook or any portion of the cookbook sales.