It’s a moment many look forward to for months. The time when it’s warm and the pool is ready for the season. Simple to elaborate gatherings are planned. Invites go out and people come for relaxing times by the pool with friends and family. Of course food and beverages are involved. So what to bring to a potluck pool party? Something made with fresh produce is a good plan. It’s why I decided to make Olive Tomato Salad highlighting glorious summer tomatoes.
A little history on me and tomatoes. I would not eat fresh ones when I was a kid. Ketchup or sauce was a total different story. However, it had to be smooth. I would refuse to eat anything with tomato chunks or pieces. It’s why my mom would have to put tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers in a blender when she made homemade tomato sauce. There was no way whatsoever I would eat a tomato salad.
My aversion to tomatoes waned over the years. It started with actually eating a slice in a sandwich or hamburger. Yep, I survived and enjoyed it too. Yet it was not until sometime in my late 30’s or early 40’s that I would eat tomato slices as a side dish. Then my tastes changed and I started eating olives too. Fast forward to now and what do I make? An olive tomato salad.
What goes into this salad? The base is lovely summer tomatoes and pimento stuffed olives. Then cucumber, feta cheese, shallot, and capers are added to the mix. Olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, and paprika are whisked together and poured into the bowl. It’s tossed together and either served right then or chilled to serve later. Oh, and be warned… You may find yourself turning up the bowl to drink in every drop of juice from this salad. It’s okay. Go ahead and slurp, sip, spoon, or use a straw to get in all the goodness.
Back to the pool party. Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing recipes to make for fun and tasty gatherings by the pool or any party. Scroll down to find a list starting with beverages all the way through to desserts. Each recipe is a click away. I can tell by looking at the list I’ll be doing plenty of clicking to check them out. I so enjoy party food. Do you?
Olive Tomato Salad
- 4 medium to large tomatoes peeled and diced
- 15 queen pimento-stuffed green olives
- 1/2 cucumber; peeled seeded, and diced
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1 large shallot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
Place tomatoes, olives, cucumber, feta cheese, shallot, and capers in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and paprika in a small bowl.
Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine.
Serve immediately or chill until serving. If chilling, allow salad to come to room temperature and toss again prior to serving.
Olive Tomato Salad is wonderful for summer entertaining. Tomatoes, olives, cucumber, feta cheese, and shallot are tossed with an oil and vinegar dressing.
Recipe adapted from one in the Tapas Made Simple cookbook published in 2011.
Are you looking for something to make for a pool party? Or any summer gathering? Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers:
Refreshing Beverages and Cocktails:
- Beermosas by eating in instead
- Cantaloupe Margaritas by Palatable Pastime
- Ginger Peach Sangria with Plums by Whole Food | Real Families
- Lime and Ginger Cordial by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Lime in the Coconut Caipirinha by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Limeade Splash by Our Good Life
- Mojito Slush by Life Tastes Good
- Pear and Cranberry Orange Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spiked Blackberry Lemonade by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
Appealing Appetizers and Snacks:
- Chip and Dip Sunflowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Coconut Key Lime Cheesecake Dip by The Crumby Cupcake
- Eggplant, Spinach and White Bean Dip with Homemade Cheddar Crackers by Caroline’s Cooking
- Grilled Spicy Shrimp with Pineapple Aioli by A Gouda Life
- Low-Carb Turkey Club Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Jalapeno Hummus by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Spicy Cheesy Corn Dip by Brunch with Joy
- Tropical Fruit with Moscato Glaze Quesadilla by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Zesty Tex-Mex Shrimp Cocktail by The Weekend Gourmet
Super Sides and Salads:
- BLT Pasta Salad by A Day in the Life on a Farm
- Mexican Three Bean Salad by Tasting Page
- Olive Tomato Salad by Magnolia Days
- Superfood Crunch Salad by Food Done Light
Tempting Desserts and Sweets:
- 5 Fantastic Fruit Pops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Butter Pecan M&M’s Magic Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pink Lemonade Cupcakes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Oatmeal Toffee Cookies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sour Cherry Crumb Cake by Pies and Plots
- Swim Ring Cakes by The Freshman Cook
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.