Summer in is in full swing. The combination of heat and humidity is stifling. It’s hard to catch a breath when mowing the lawn. Cooling down after yard work takes hours even in the comfort of air conditioning. The thought of adding heat indoors by turning on the oven is unappealing. This is where the goodness of no bake desserts is realized. You can keep your kitchen cool while you make No Bake Bourbon Pecan Cookies.
The story of these cookies starts with other ones. There was a massive failure with a different cookie. That recipe sounded so easy and it involved rum and butterscotch. What I wound up with was a gooey glob with no hope of setting up properly. I tried everything to make it work to no avail. Tossing it and moving on was all I could do. It was such a shame too because it meant wasting a whole Ghirardelli milk chocolate bar. *Sigh*
No Bake Bourbon Pecan Cookies are quick and easy to make. Crush vanilla wafer cookies, chop pecans, whisk confectioners sugar and cocoa, then a couple of stirs later adding in bourbon and corn syrup, you have the “dough”. You shape the dough into balls then flatten into disks. Or you can leave them shaped as balls, it’s your call. I wanted them to be shaped like cookies since this is for the Creative Cookie Exchange. The last steps are to roll them around in sugar to coat and let them dry to firm up.
How do the cookies taste? One word: bourbon. There are chocolate and pecan accents too. The unmistakable, prevalent flavor is bourbon. I thought about calling them no bake bourbon cookies however I threw in pecan in the title as a heads up about containing nuts.
Are you ready to make cookies? Scroll down to find a list for No Bake ones by talented cookie enthusiasts. Click on the links to get the recipes. For other no bake desserts, check out my Cherry Cream Cheese Bites and Zabaglione Italian Custard.
- 1½ to 2 cups confectioners sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 cups crushed vanilla wafers
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Sift 1 cup powdered sugar and cocoa into a large bowl.
- Combine bourbon and corn syrup. Pour into bowl and stir until combined.
- Add wafer crumbs and pecans. Stir until combined.
- Shape into 1-inch balls then flatten into round disks, about ⅓-inch thick.
- Roll in remaining powdered sugar (sifted) and shake to remove excess.
- Place cookies on a tray or baking sheet and allow to dry before serving.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Christmas Cookies cookbook published in 1986 (no longer in print).
The Creative Cookie Exchange theme this month is “Beat the Heat with No Bake Cookies”. It’s summer and too hot to turn on the oven. If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura via email (thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com) and she will get you added to our Facebook group where we coordinate events.
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Facebook page, our Pinterest Board, and our monthly posts. You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Chunky Chocolate Fruit and Nut Cookie Slice from Jill at Made with Love
- Indoor S’mores Bars from Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Kashata Squares from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- Nutella Clusters from Tara at Noshing with the Nolands
- No Bake Bourbon Pecan Cookies from Renee at Magnolia Days
- No Bake Coconut Cookies from Kathya at Basic N Delicious
- No Bake Cookie Butter Cookies from Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- No Bake Kit Kat Squares from Holly at A Baker’s House
- No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Cookies from Becca at It’s Yummi!
- Strawberry and Cream No Bake Cookies from Miranda at Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt