Bubbles has been quite under utilized lately. It spent most of its days chilling in the refrigerator. Every now and then it needed to be fed and would sit on the counter while munching on flour and water. Part of it would be wastefully discarded in the feeding process. There is no one to blame for that waste except myself. This week it was put to good use. Bubbles became a part of cheddar jalapeno sourdough bread.
Bubbles is my sourdough starter. (If you didn’t figure that out already). I gave it a name after many years of feeding. Soon it will be 8 years old. It’s a real commitment and one I am determined to continue. The reward of tasting bread with that wonderful sourdough flavor is worth it all. This time I mixed in fresh jalapeño slices and grated sharp cheddar cheese. I used my base sourdough French bread recipe and baked it in loaf pans. Those pans gave it a the right shape for sandwich slices.
The jalapeño and cheddar flavors are subtle. One flavor does not overpower the others. Georgia sourdough is much milder than that of the west coast and San Francisco. A cup of sharp cheddar cheese and a few small jalapeños did the trick. Part of the cheese and peppers are mixed in while kneading. The rest are sprinkled out over the dough before rolling and shaping into loaves. The bit of pepper in each slice gives a nice kick of heat to the cheese bread.
Which flavors do you like in sourdough bread? Bubbles will need to be utilized again. Plus there will be more Twelve Loaves challenges. You can help inspire me in a baking adventure. Leave your ideas in the comments below.
The Twelve Loaves Challenge for August is savory bread. Take a look at what the talented bakers made for the challenge:
- Cheddar Jalapeno Sourdough Bread by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Cheddar Swirl Breakfast Buns by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Onion and Poppy Seed Bread by Rossella at Ma che ti sei mangiato
- Pissaladiere by Karen at Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Shallot, Herb and Garlic Cheese Muffins by Anne at From My Sweet Heart
- Skillet Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread by Holly at A Baker’s House
#TwelveLoaves August: Savory. After a gorgeous month of July stone fruit breads, our August baking mission is taking on a savory side. Think breads with cheeses and spices. Garlic and onion, oh my! What savory mood are you in? Share your favorite savory bread recipe (yeast or quick bread). Let’s get baking!
Want to join the #TwelveLoaves group? It’s easy!
- When you post your Twelve Loaves bread on your blog, make sure that you mention the Twelve Loaves challenge in your blog post; this helps us to get more members as well as share everyone’s posts. Please make sure that your bread is inspired by the theme!
- Please link your post to the linky tool at the bottom of my blog. It must be a bread baked to the Twelve Loaves theme.
- Have your Twelve Loaves bread that you baked this August, 2013, and posted on your blog by August 31, 2013.
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party. It was created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs so smoothly thanks to the help of the lovely Paula from Vintage Kitchen Notes and Renee from Magnolia Days.