Certain words have a direct association with months. Indulgence would one for December. All those holiday treats and celebration meals make for a time of splurging. Then January rolls around and the word restraint takes over. It can be difficult to get back on track with balance and moderation. Oh how a big bowl of rich comfort or plate of divine sweetness keeps nagging relentlessly. To quiet down the urge to splurge, satisfaction comes with flavor and ingenuity. It is what I did with these Mexican Turkey Cutlets.
Baking is a healthier option over frying. The turkey cutlets I usually make are fried in a combination of butter and olive oil. Frying causes the fat to soak into the breading and take on extra calories. Also the regular ones are dipped in flour, egg, and bread crumbs – a double dose of white flour. Mexican turkey cutlets are dipped in egg and crushed corn tortilla chips. The chips can make them gluten-free depending on the ones used (check the package label to be sure). For an added bonus, if you use baked tortilla chips then you reduce the fat even further. A triple bonus is if you use flavored chips and make the cutlets customized to your preference.
Salsa or picante sauce is packed with flavor. It’s low-fat and full of nutrients. It also can be gluten-free (again, check the package label). Spooning it over or dipping the cutlets into it bumps up the flavor intensity even further. My taste buds and tummy sure were satisfied after a meal with them. I got crunchy comfort without the indulgence. It’s a total win!
Are you starting the year with restraint? It does not mean you have to give up flavor and satisfaction. Especially if you are armed with a boatload of recipes that fit with your eating plan. Where to find those recipes? All you have to do is scroll down to find them. My fellow Sunday Supper contributors have done an excellent job of putting together ones from beverages all the way to desserts. Special thanks to T.R. of Gluten-Free Crumbley for hosting our “A Lighter New Year” event.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pound turkey cutlets (about ¼-inch thick)
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips
- Salsa or picante sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a wire rack in a rimmed baking sheet.
- Whisk together eggs, water, cumin, and garlic.
- Dip cutlets in egg mixture then dredge in crushed chips.
- Place coated cutlets on wire rack.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through (no longer pink in center and 165°F internal temperature).
- Serve with salsa or picante sauce.
Are you looking for lighter recipes? Here’s a big list with lots choices that fit into many healthy eating plans:
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups, Salads, and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Quinoa Shrimp Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Salmon with Mushrooms from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.