Happy Birthday Isabel! Yep, this post and recipe is for you. I had to make something special for your big surprise virtual birthday party. For everyone reading this that doesn’t know Isabel, let me introduce you. She is the Isabel Laessig; friend, mom, blogger, and founder of the Sunday Supper Movement and Food Wine Conference. There are few things I know she thoroughly enjoys and it is the inspiration behind this Grilled Salmon Rice Salad.
I met Isabel on the internet. It was on twitter to be exact. Our virtual paths crossed in a weekly twitter chat, back then known as Foodies Night In. We followed each other and then started saying hello to each other in the morning on twitter. It was then I learned she makes pancakes for her kids on the weekends. I can remember tweeting to her on Saturday mornings asking if she had made pancakes yet. Conversations continued and our friendship began.
Then one Sunday she tweeted a simple question. I didn’t save it but it was basically “What are you making for #SundaySupper?”. I witnessed and answered the tweet that would change her life. It was also the tweet that lead to bringing families and people together for a meal around the family table. The virtual extended family grew and it was time for the first gathering. What started as a let’s all go to Isabel’s house turned into the spark of putting together a conference. This is how we finally met in person.
We met at a little B&B in Gainesville, Florida. It was the first place we scouted as a location for the conference. Well, after a giant waste of our time for a couple of days, we left and headed for Orlando. This is where we found the location of the conference and had a personal interview with Emeril Lagasse at the same time. It was a time I will never forget.
Our friendship has grown through the years. What I have learned is she loves rice. I remember her post long ago on How to make Portuguese Rice and I swore one day I would make it. I know she loves salmon just about any way and especially either in sushi or grilled. She also adores salads and will make flatbread with a salad on top (she was the inspiration behind my Sausage Onion Flatbread Pizza and the salad part on top of Grilled Wine and Cheese Pizza). This is why I put together those components to make Grilled Salmon Rice Salad. Grilled salmon + rice + salad = Isabel dish.
What is in the salad? First a backstory. I actually did make her Portuguese rice for the salad. It was incredible. Yet the flavors in it offset what I wanted in the salad. So I ate the Portuguese rice for days and made plain rice for the salad. I grilled a marvelous sockeye salmon in season right now. I threw in carrots, green onions, red bell pepper, peas, and fresh parsley. I made a lemony white wine vinaigrette for dressing the salad. I’m pretty sure this is a salad Isabel would enjoy.
A big birthday party needs food and beverages. Scroll down to find a list of all the tasty treats made by Sunday Supper tastemakers for this virtual birthday bash. Join me in wishing Isabel a very happy birthday. She is the one who brought so many people together with such a great mission: to share a meal around the family table. I’m so glad I met Isabel and treasure our friendship. Here’s to good times to come. Cheers!
- 1 pound fresh salmon
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 3 cups cooked long grain white rice
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet peas
- ¼ cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of pepper
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Heat grill to medium-high (about 450°F).
- Coat salmon with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place salmon on grill skin side up. Grill for 2 minutes. Use a wide spatula to turn salmon skin side down. Grill until cooked through, about 4 minutes depending on thickness. Salmon should flake easily.
- Allow salmon to cool to room temperature. Remove and discard skin. Use your fingers to flake apart and separate salmon into pieces.
- Place rice, carrots, peas, bell pepper, parsley, and ½ cup dressing in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add salmon pieces and gently stir or fold in. Taste and add more dressing if desired. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Place garlic, shallot, mustard, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend on high to combine, about 30 seconds.
- Reduce speed to low and slowly pour in olive oil.
Join me in celebrating Isabel’s Birthday with all the delicious food and drinks her #SundaySupper family prepared!
- Birthday Cake Cocktails by Daily Dish Recipes
- Blueberry Lavender Mojitos by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Caipirinha Colada by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Fig-Bourbon Fizz by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Mocha Martini by Desserts Required
- Mocha Mudslide by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Plum and Thyme Champagne Cocktail by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Summer Fizzies by Momma’s Meals
- 2-Ingredient Deviled Eggs by Shockingly Delicious
- Apple and Chorizo Crostini with Shallots and Basil by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Buffalo Chicken Wontons by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Burrata Caprese Crostini with Proscuitto by The Crumby Cupcake
- Chorizo and Kimchi Potato Pancakes from kimchi MOM
- Cotija and Roasted Corn Guacamole by Simply Healthy Family
- Gluten Free Basil Tomato Flatbread by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Salt Cod Fritters by Recipes Food and Cooking
Birthday Main Courses:
- Chai Sweet Chili Chicken Flatbread by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Chorizo Eggs Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Espetada (Portuguese Beef Skewers) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Grilled Salmon Rice Salad by Magnolia Days
- Sofrito Marinated Beef Skewers by Nik Snacks
- Steak with Red Wine Reduction and Blue Cheese by The Weekend Gourmet
- Angel Food Cake by Feeding Big
- Birthday Blondies by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with Buttercream Icing by Whole Food | Real Families
- Chocolate Doughnuts with White and Chocolate Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- French Vanilla Eclair Cake by Love and Confections
- Homemade No-Churn Nutella Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cheesecake by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Italian Cream Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Japanese Cherry Blossom Brownies and 10 Tips on How-To Get Drunk With Happiness by NinjaBaker
- Mint Chocolate Cream Pie by gotta get baked
- Pink Lemonade Cookies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Queijadas de Sintra by Food Lust People Love
- Red Currant Cheesecake Ice Cream by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Summer Peach Cake by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Join Isabel and the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! The chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.