Springtime is here! It is official on March 20th. My favorite season of all begins and I could not be happier. I’m already seeing little buds on trees and plants. Pretty soon the landscape will be filled with blooms and greening up. It’s a busy time for me with gardening and tending to the yard. I make several trips to the local plant nursery and literally dig in the dirt. I also get excited about it being strawberry season. This year I plan on making many batches of strawberry sorbet.
Strawberry season in Georgia starts in April. It goes through May which coincides with Mother’s Day. I always make chocolate covered strawberries and last year I made a strawberry cake. Out of all the berries, strawberries are my husband’s favorite. He usually goes to get fresh ones from the local farm. He gets a couple of big buckets full and so I’ll have lots to use for sorbet. I’ll need it to cool down after working hard outside. It gets rather hot here in spring. I think Mother Nature gets confused and thinks it is summer.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chopped strawberries
- Juice from ½ large lemon
- In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium-high heat until sugar has dissolved and the liquid is clear. Add the chopped strawberries and lemon juice and stir to combine. Remove the mixture from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into a bowl through a fine mesh sieve or strainer to remove seeds. Push through the sieve with a rubber or silicone spatula. Discard seeds and any pulp left in the sieve. Cover and refrigerate mixture for at least 8 hours.Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer the sorbet to a freezer safe container. Freeze for at least 2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
Another great thing about spring is the food. It starts with St. Patrick’s Day, then Easter, then the seasonal fruits and veggies. Going to the farmers market is so exciting. I have to get recipes lined up and ready. It just so happens today Sunday Supper contributors are sharing springtime recipes. How lucky for me and you! Check it out:
- Baked Eggs with Shaved Asparagus and Proscuitto by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Shrimp and Leek Quiche by Gourmet Drizzles
- Spinach and Cheddar Quiche for St. Patrick’s Day Brunch by Supper For A Steal
- Asparagus and Spring Onion Frittatta by Country Girl in the Village
- Egg Bake with Spring Onions, Asparagus and Artichokes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Apps, Bread, Salads, Soups and Dressings:
- Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread by The Meltaways
- Strawberry, Avocado, Spinach Salad with Strawberry Vinaigrette by Daily Dish Recipes
- Asparagus Gazpacho by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Spinach Bacon Salad by In The Kitchen with Audrey
- Anchovy and Egg Salad by Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup by Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Asparagus Red Pepper Salad by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- White Asparagus & Salmon Spring Salad by Family Foodie
- Chicken-Strawberry Field Green Salad w/Strawberry Balsamic Dressing by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bacon & Egg Spring Salad by Daddy Knows Less
- Green Garbanzo Hummus by Soni’s Food
Main and Sides:
- Pea Shoot Risotto by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- Sweet Ginger Scallion Noodles by What Smells So Good?
- Asparagus Pesto w/Heirloom Fingerlings and Orecchiette by Webicurean
- Coddle for St. Patrick’s Day by Noshing With The Nolands
- Corned Beef Cabbage Rolls by Curious Cuisiniere
- Brown Butter Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Crispy Shallots by Hip Foodie Mom
- Raw Cucumber Sandwich with Avocado and Spinach Sauce by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Berry Tacos by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Asparagus and Prosciutto Bundles by Diabetic Foodie
- Caramelized Grapes and Brie Whole Wheat Galette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pink Water Kimchi (Nabak Kimchi) by Kimchi Mom
- Key Lime Cheesecake by The Foodie Army Wife
- Irish Coffee Ice Cream with Caramel Whiskey Sauce by 30A Eats
- Coconut Raspberry Layer Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Fresh Mango Berry Mousse With Coconut Cream by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate Mint Brownies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Cadbury Creme Egg Pull-Apart Sweet Rolls by Chocolate Moosey
- Strawberry Cheesecake Parfaits by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Meyer Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Roll Cake by The Ninja Baker
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Candied Flowers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lemon Citrus Cookies by Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Mini Fruit Tarts by Big Bear’s Wife
- Faux Fried Ice Cream by Neighborfood
- Watergate Salad by Cupcakes and Pearls Blog
- Good-for-You Strawberry Tiramisu Cheesecake Cups by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Guinness Beer Milkshake by The Urban Mrs
- Wines to Pair with Springtime #SundaySupper Dishes by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Those recipes will certainly get you ready for spring. Have you started your grocery list yet? Better have pen and paper ready when you click on the links. Write down what you need so you can have it when you are ready to cook. Be sure to add sugar, lemon, and strawberries to make the sorbet (hint hint). Which spring food do you look forward to the most?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.