The tiny plant started to grow. It was early in the season and a few cold snaps didn’t phase it at all. Each day it grew a little more. A small white flower bloomed signalling all was well. The bloom was followed by more and soon after tiny green peppers took their place. I patiently waited for the right time to harvest. It was with those first peppers I made spicy grilled corn salad.
Waiting for the plant to grow seemed to take forever. It is my very first jalapeño plant. I was amazed at how quickly it grew. It is now full of peppers and making me happy at the thought of all the fresh-picked ones I’ll have this summer. I can see spicing up many recipes and perhaps tackling poppers for the first time too. Meanwhile I have this corn salad to enjoy. The sweet corn, spicy peppers, juicy tomatoes, crumbly feta cheese, and fresh herbs come together with a lime vinaigrette seasoned with the warmth of cumin and chili powder. Grilling the corn gives it an extra smoky flavor that pairs perfectly with grilled meats.
Spicy Grilled Corn Salad is my dish for a virtual BBQ. The Sunday Supper bloggers have come together to share recipes for any summer celebration. There are beverages, desserts, and everything in between. Scroll down to see the list. The recipes are a click away.
What do you enjoy most at a BBQ? It’s hard for me to choose what I like best. It’s a tie between the food and spending time with family and friends. Speaking of food, one other thing I like to make for BBQ’s is Asian Slaw. It’s a hit every time. I’m sure my corn salad will make repeat appearances at events too.
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¾ olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 ears of corn, husks and silks removed
- 1½ cups grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 to 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley)
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk together the lime juice, cumin, and chili powder in a small bowl. Continue whisking while slowing pouring in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream to make a vinaigrette.
- Prepare a medium hot grill (about 350 degrees F).
- Brush the corn with olive oil. Place the ears on the grill and cook, turning the ears often, until lightly charred and tender, about 12 minutes.
- Let the corn cool enough to handle. Cut the kernels off the cobs and place kernels in a large bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, feta, and vinaigrette. Toss to combine ingredients and coat with the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or let set for 1 hour for flavors to develop. Alternatively, chill and serve cold or bring to room temperature before serving.
Recipe adapted from one on the Williams-Sonoma website.
Ready for a summer BBQ? Here are more wonderful recipes from Sunday Supper bloggers:
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita’s Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni’s Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin’ Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner’s Tales
- More S’mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny’s Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement