Oh those long ago simple summer days. A visit from my aunt, uncle, and cousins always meant some type of special summer dessert or treat. My dad and uncle would hand churn ice cream. Or my dad would have a watermelon chilling in the refrigerator. He had a knack for picking out a perfect melon. It would split as he pierced it with a knife as if it was bursting open. The juices flowed onto the newspapers he spread out for cutting. We sprinkled salt on our wedges and bit into the sweet fruit and spit out the seeds. Those memories arise each time I see or smell watermelon. However, I can no longer enjoy one because of some crazy allergy or reaction which causes me to have nausea.
There are so many food allergies and intolerances. My nephew cannot eat nuts. Gluten wreaks havoc with many people. Those with a condition called galactosemia cannot have diary. Such is the case with the daughters of my friend, Bea of The Not So Cheesy Kitchen. Bea is the host of our “Free For All” Sunday Supper event today. It is all about recipes for special dietary needs and eating plans. My contribution is this farro and fruit salad.
Bea’s daughters were the inspiration for my recipe. I remember one of Bea’s posts about how she planted a tree for each of her daughters when they were born. They are both espalier trees; one is an apple and the other is a pear. I thought that was the most wonderful idea. What a way to watch how both grow throughout the years. My recipe is dairy-free and is also nut-free (as a nod to my nephew). I’m sure it fits into other “free” categories however I would not want to make any claims I am not absolutely sure about.
Farro and fruit salad can be a side or a snack. The chewy, nutty farro balances with the crisp apple and pear, juicy grapes, and tart cranberries. I used small organic black grapes. You could also use red or green seedless grapes. Pink lady apples and d’anjou pears were my choice for the salad. Any apple or pear would do nicely. A simple cider vinaigrette is whisked together and soaks into the warm farro and dried cranberries. It is then tossed together with the fruit and ready to eat.
Do you have food allergies or on a special diet? Scroll down to find all the “Free For All” recipes by the Sunday Supper bloggers. I’m sure there is something for you. Now if only one day I can enjoy a juicy, sweet watermelon again.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2½ tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup seedless grapes, halved if large
- 1 small apple, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 small pear, cored and cut into bite-size pieces
- Add the olive oil, cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper to a large bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Cook the farro according to package instructions until tender. Drain well.
- Add the warm farro and cranberries to the bowl with the dressing. Toss to coat. Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Add the grapes, apples, and pears to the bowl. Toss mix and coat with dressing.
It’s a “Free For All” Sunday Supper! We have recipes that are dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, fat-free, sugar-free, egg-free, soy-free and more:
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut & Soy Free Brown Rice Breakfast Pudding by girlichef
- Dairy & Nut and Sugar Free Blueberry Tangerine Muffins by Vintage Kitchen
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, Nut, and Soy Free Homemade Mango Jam Recipe by Masala Herb
- Gluten Free Nothing Missing Manicotti by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gluten Free Sun-Dried Tomato & Feta Meatballs over Courgette Noodles by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Gluten Free Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Balsamic Portobello Burgers by Curious Cuisinere
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Nut Free Mushroom Risotto Bake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Enoki Mushroom & Pine Nut Quinoa by Family Foodie
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Vegan Mac and “Cheese” by Webicurean
- Dairy, Egg & Nut Free Creamy Mushrooms on Pasta by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Gluten Free Persian Cucumber Yogurt by Shockingly Delicious
- Gluten Free Quinoa with Olives, Basil and Sun-dried Tomatoes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- Dairy Free Farro and Fruit Salad by Magnolia Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Dairy Free Fattoush Salad by From the Bookshelf
- Gluten Free Chickpea Fritters by The Lovely Pantry
- Dairy, Egg, and Gluten Free Black Bean and Mango Salad by Soni’s Food
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten, and Nut Free Grilled Fennel Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Dairy & Gluten Free French Bread by Blueberries and Blessings
- Dairy & Gluten Free Crunchy Almond Sesame Crackers by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dairy & Gluten Free Individual Chocolate Pavlovas by The Girl in The Little Red Kitchen
- Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies by Juanita’s Cocina
- Dairy, Egg & Gluten Free Apple Almond Butter Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies with Almond Flour by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Nut Free Lemon Cardamom Wedding Cookies by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairy Free Chocolate Gelato by Growing Up Gabel
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Sugar Free Cantaloupe, Strawberry, & Coconut Gazpacho by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Gluten Free Meringue Kisses with Dulce de Lece by Basic N Delicious
- Dairy & Egg Free Vegan Everyday Chocolate Loaf by Gotta Get Baked
- Gluten, Dairy, and Nut Free Coconut Macaroons by Happy Baking Days
- Dairy, Egg, Gluten & Soy Free Tastes like Chocolate Ice Cream by Cookistry
- Gluten Free Mousse & Cookies by Ninja Baking
- Gluten Free Brown Butter Snickerdooles by Pies and Plots
- Dairy, Egg & Soy Free Chai Spice Coconut Ice Cream by Daily Dish Recipes
- Gluten Free Lemonade Dip by The Messy Baker
- Nut & Fat Free Chocolate Angel Food Cake by Table for Seven
- Gluten & Dairy Free Honey Bear Smoothies by Neighborfood
- Sugar Free Strawberry Meyer Lemonade by The Weekend Gourmet
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement
I’ll be at the Food and Wine Conference in Orlando – will you be there?