Chocolate covered cherries have a special meaning to me. They were one of my dad’s favorite candies. He did not have them often and it was usually for the holidays. I could count on seeing a box of them when I visited my parents at Christmastime. I really do not care for those candies. It is one of the few chocolates I could do without. It is a whole different story with the flavors. The combination works so well and tastes so good. Add in cheese and cake and you get chocolate covered cherry cheesecake.
This cheesecake is heavenly from the bottom to the top. The crust is crushed Oreos (or rather the generic term of cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies). Four bricks of cream cheese go in this “little” 8-inch cheesecake. Chopped maraschino cherries are layered into the batter. It is finished with pouring warm chocolate ganache over the top and letting it spill down the sides. Need I say more? Heavenly indeed. It may be a smidgen decadent too. Just a smidgen.
I made the cheesecake for my mom and sister-in-law. We were celebrating their birthdays and I wanted a special dessert. I know my mom loves the Chocolate Pecan Torte but something different was in order. I went with a dessert that combined my mom’s love of chocolate and cherries with my sister-in-laws love of cheesecake. The birthday party started with some appetizers and then lasagna using my homemade tomato sauce. I also had cupcakes for my niece and nephews. It was a fantastic family Sunday Supper at my home.
Cheese, cake, and cheesecake is today’s Sunday Supper event. What is interesting is the meal I made for the birthday celebration had all three; lasagna (lots of cheese in there), cupcakes (little cakes), and chocolate covered cherry cheesecake. It wasn’t my intention to do that, it just happened. It must have been in my subconscious. I wonder what meals will happen after I check out all the recipes being shared for the event:
- Garlic and Goat by Supper for a Steal
- Quick and Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese by The Meltaways
- Homemade Velveeta Cheese by Juanitas Cocina
- Cheesy Spinach and Artichoke Dip with Parmesan Crisps by BigBearsWife
- Irish Cheese Soufflés by girlichef
- Paneer Tikka Masala by Kimchi Mom
- Creamy Meyer Lemon Pasta with Homemade Ricotta and Broccoli by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Ricotta Croquettes by Basic N Delicious
- Cheeseburger Soup by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Cherry Blossom Crescents by The Ninja Baker
- Saag Paneer! Golden Roasted Ricotta In Savory Spinach Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sourdough Cheese Crackers by Curious Cuisiniere
- Basil Balsamic Strawberries & Whipped Feta Grilled Cheese by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lox and Cream Cheese Mini Omelettes by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Buffalo Cream Cheese Stuffed Chicken by In The Kitchen With KP
- Baked Mozzarella Sticks by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Paneer Indian Cottage Cheese Pancake by Masala Herb
- Crepes with Strawberry Mascarpone Cream Filling by Soni’s Food
- Roasted Pears with Pecorino by Happy Baking Days
- Pan-Fried Halloumi Cheese Salad by The Catholic Foodie
- Chevre Torte with Mango and Sweet Pepper Salsa by Noshing with the Nolands
- Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cake by Gourmet Drizzles
- Dairyfree Ice Cream Cake by Galactosemia in PDX
- KitKat Chocolate Cake by The Urban Mrs.
- Old Fashioned Caramel Cake by There and Back Again
- Peanut Butter Banana Bundt Cake with Chocolate Chips by Gotta Get Baked
- Flourless Chocolate Bean Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Dense Chocolate Cherry Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Tequila Lime Cupcakes by Mama Mommy Mom
- Almond Polenta Cake by Shockingly Delicious
- Salmon Cakes by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Bundt Cake with Chocolate Glaze by NeighborFood
- Kit Kat Cheesecake Brownies by Chocolate Moosey
- Reese’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Bundt Cake by Daily Dish Recipes
- Nutella Cheesecake Brownies by The Foodie Army Wife
- Individual Strawberry and White Chocolate Cheesecakes by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cheesecake by Magnolia Days
- Mini Toddler Cherry Cheesecakes by In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mocha Cheesecake by The Lovely Pantry
- Lime Cheesecake Bites by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- No-Bake Banana Sundae Cheesecake by The Messy Baker
- Mini Raspberry Cheesecakes with White Chocolate Crusts by Cupcakes and Pearls
- Savory Shrimp Cheesecake with Herbs and Garlic by Food Lust People Love
- Cheesecake au Baileys by Baker Street
- Tiny Turtle Cheesecakes (No Bake) by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Mini Cheesecakes by Cookistry
- Chocolate Cheesecake Bites by Mom, What’s For Dinner?
What incredible cheese, cake, and cheesecake recipes! The Sunday Supper bloggers always inspire me. I can’t tell you how much I look forward to reading their posts and seeing what they have to share each week. How about you? Have you been inspired to cook something you found via Sunday Supper? If so, what was it? I’d love to know.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.
Recipe adapted from one on the Woman’s Day magazine website. I originally clipped it from the February 1995 magazine edition and have had it in my recipe book since then.