How are you celebrating Father’s Day? Until this year my family has gathered together over a good meal. Sometimes it has been at a restaurant and other times at home. This year is different. It is the first Father’s Day without my dad. He passed away last October after living a good long life of 82 years. It still seems like he left too early though. So this year I am remembering him and sharing his recipe for cornbread. My dad got the recipe from his father which is why it is the one I picked for this post.
My dad liked to cook. He cooked the meals during the week. I learned a lot about cooking from him. I remember being in the kitchen with him watching as he prepared dinner. He also would make pancakes and waffles for breakfast on Sunday. He did all the grilling. One of my favorite of his recipes is beef stew and he would always make cornbread or cornbread muffins to go with it.
My dad liked to garden. He had a natural green thumb. I always said he could take a dead twig and turn it into a thriving plant in no time at all. He planted a full garden every year and the tomatoes were the best. And so was everything else he had planted. He loved roses and planted many of them around the house. He took hundreds, if not thousands, of photographs of flowers.
My dad liked to tinker with things. He was a true handyman. He could fix just about anything. When he retired he started doing odd handyman jobs to earn “pocket money” even though he did not need it. I know he did it for fun. He had an arsenal of tools and his collection was incredible.
My dad never knew a stranger. He would strike up a conversation with anyone and anywhere. The number of friends he made is countless. He was genuine and made people feel comfortable. He would be there if you needed him.
Most of all, my dad loved to fly. He was a private pilot. I spent many Saturdays at the airport with him when I was young. He took any opportunity to fly or to give someone their first ride in a plane. One time he flew me to another city so I could play in the snow. He volunteered for the Young Eagles to get children interested in aviation.
I miss my dad very much. My love of cooking, gardening, and so many more things came from him. Each time I cook one of his recipes I feel as though he is in the kitchen beside me. His cornbread brings back wonderful memories. I baked it in a cast iron skillet as he did. My skillet is a 9-inch one so the cornbread came out a little thinner (I think he used an 8-inch one). He would also use the same recipe for muffins.
There are many more people honoring fathers today. The Sunday Supper bloggers are sharing recipes and stories of their dads or the dads in their family. I cannot wait to read every one of the posts. Join me, will you? Each one is only a click away:
Father’s Day Brunch:
- Dad’s Omelette Bar – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Peanut Butter and Honey for Father’s Day Breakfast – What Smells So Good?
- Healthy French Toast – In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Paska – Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Dad’s Favorite Soup, Salads and Bread:
- Phil’s Pasta Tuna Salad – The Watering Mouth
- Simple German Potato Salad and Wiener Wursts – The German Foodie
- Roasted Beet Soup – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Dad’s Cornbread – Magnolia Days
Father’s Day Favorite Main Dishes:
- Greek Burger – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dad’s Favorite Roast Beef – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Bacon-Wrapped Sonoran Hot Dogs – Damn Delicious
- Bacon Stuffed Jucy Lucy Burger – Are you Hungry?
- Spicy Roasted Salmon in Coconut – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Dad’s Pride-of-Mobile Fried Oysters – Pescetarian Journal
- Smoked Baby Back Ribs – Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Grilled Pork Chops with Tarragon Butter – Tora’s Real Food
- Beef Tongue in Tomato Sauce – Basic and Delicious
- Bibim naeng myun (Korean Spicy Cold Noodles) – Kimchi Mom
- Chicken Biryani – Soni’s Food for Thought
- Brown Rice and Black Beans – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Bacon Recipes for Dad – Momma Cuisine
- Curry Fish with Mixed Vegetables – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Roast Beef Roll Ups – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Bread and Butter Pudding – Cositas Bonitas
- Tin Roof Sundae Ice Cream – famfriendsfood
- Coconut Cream Pudding – Chocolate Moosey
- Rich & Fluffy Banana Pudding Parfaits – The Meltaways
- Black Forest Cheesecake – Cravings of a Lunatic
- White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Peach Cobbler Bars – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chocolate Iced Cookie Bars – That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pudim Molotoff, Portuguese Meringue Pudding – Family Foodie
Wine Pairings for Father’s Day ENOFYLZ
Take part in the Sunday Supper Father’s Day conversation. You can follow the hashtag #SundaySupper on twitter and also tweet recipes and photos of food you are making for the occasion. Take a look at and follow the Sunday Supper Pinterest board too.
What is the fondest memory you have of your father? I bet just thinking of it made you smile! Please share it in the comments below. I do enjoy reading and hearing about special family moments.