What would the world be like without music? It is very difficult to imagine. So many memories have a soundtrack. Hearing a song brings images to your mind in the same way as the scent of a certain food cooking. Some are tied together. The smell of Sauerbraten turns on classic old German music in my head (thanks to my parents). The video for the song “Don’t Come Around Here No More” by Tom Petty was based on the Mad Hatter’s tea party in Alice in Wonderland. I can’t listen to that song without thinking of a crazy tea party.
Sunday Supper is celebrating music inspired recipes. Scanning through my song collection brought a few choices. First there was candy inspired from “Candy” by Iggy Pop or “Candy-O” by The Cars. Tea cakes was a possibility because of the Tom Petty song video. When I got to R.E.M. I knew I wanted to make an Orange Crush Cocktail. I’ve listened to their song “Orange Crush” many times. Their music is the soundtrack to lots of my memories.
Orange Crush Cocktail is easy to make. Fresh squeezed orange juice, vodka, and triple sec are shaken with ice then topped off with lemon-lime sparkling water or soda. It’s refreshing and loaded with Vitamin C. Use a sweetened soda such a Sprite if you want to have more sweetness to the beverage. It’s a burst of orange flavor with a slight effervescence from the sparkling water.
What song brings food memories to you? Is is a song about food or one you heard while enjoying a favorite dish? I’m interested to see how music is a part of your cooking and dining memories. Leave a comment, turn on the music, and crush some oranges. Cheers!
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1½ ounces vodka
- 1 tablespoon triple sec
- Splash of lemon-lime sparkling water or soda
- Orange slice for garnish
- Combine the orange juice, vodka, and triple sec in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Cover and shake vigorously.
- Pour contents of shaker into a highball glass.
- Pour a splash of lemon-lime sparkling water on top and stir to combine.
- Garnish with orange slice.
Here are more music inspired recipes. Join me in visiting each one of these by Sunday Supper bloggers. You will be ready to crank up the tunes and head into the kitchen:
- Calimocho (Red Red Wine Cocktail) from La Cocina de Leslie inspired by Red Red Wine by UB40
- Dark & Stormy Cocktail Recipe from An Appealing Plan inspired by Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
- Horchata from Treats & Trinkets inspired by Horchata by Vampire Weekend
- Orange Crush from Magnolia Days inspired by Orange Crush by REM
- Pineapple Lemonade Slushy with Coconut Water from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz inspired by Lemon Tree by Peter, Paul & Mary
- Strawberry Tequila from Shockingly Delicious inspired by Strawberry Fields Forever by The Beatles
- Mustard Dill Beer Bread from Curious Cuisiniere inspired by In Heaven There Is No Beer a German Polka
Intermezzo (Entrees & Sides):
- Chicken and Bacon Cheddar Waffles from I Run For Wine inspired by Glady’s Knight
- Classic Fried Chicken from The Food Army Wife inspired by Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band
- Margarita Chicken from In The Kitchen With KP inspired by Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet
- Meatball Duet from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Tom Glazer
- Pan-Seared Halibut with Corn Hash and Asparagus Puree from Crazy Foodie Stunts inspired by Saturday Night Fish Fry by Louis Jordan
- Slow Cooker Sweet and Spicy BBQ Pulled Pork from Neighborfood inspired by Something Like That by Tim McGraw
- Spaghetti and Pork Meatballs from Family Foodie inspired by On Top of Spaghetti by Kidsongs
- Teriyaki Burger from Juanita’s Cocina inspired by Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffet
- Banana Cream Pie Bars from Peanut Butter and Peppers inspired by Tra La La Song by The Banana Splits
- Banana Pancake Ice Cream with Maple Brittle from Foxes Love Lemons inspired by Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson
- Cherry Pie from My Cute Bride inspired by Cherry Pie by Warrant
- Cherry Marshmallows from Pies and Plots inspired by I Want Candy by Bow Wow Wow
- Chocolate Cappuccino Cream Puffs from Runner’s Tales inspired by Choux Pastry Heart by Corinne Bailey Rae
- Chocolate Chip, Walnut and Caramel Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwich from Ruffles & Truffles inspired by Hollaback Girl by Gwen Stefani
- Chocolate Covered Caramels from Big Bear’s Wife inspired by At Last by Etta James
- Coconut Rum Blondies from Gotta Get Baked inspired by I’ve Got A Lovely Bunch of Coconuts by Danny Kaye
- Easy Blueberry Recipe: Fruit Tart from Growing Up Gabel inspired by Blueberry Hill by Fats Domino
- Espresso Nib Ice Cream from Vintage Kitchen Notes inspired by Black Coffee by Ella Fitzgerald
- Fancy Watermelon Lime Popsicles from Daily Dish Recipes inspired by Watermelon Crawl by Tracy Byrd
- Fresh Peach Pie from Killer Bunnies, Inc. inspired by Sweet Sweet Pie by PWEI
- Jammin’ Oatmeal Cookies from What Smells So Good? inspired by Jammin’ by Bob Marley
- Many Flavors Whipped Cream from Noshing with the Nolands inspired by Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Albert and the Tijuana Brass
- Peach Basil Pie from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Pina Colada Poke Cake from Cookin’ Mimi inspired by Two Pina Coladas by Garth Brooks
- Peach Donuts with Brown Sugar from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks inspired by Peaches by POTUSA
- Peach Strudel with Honey Bourbon Frozen Yogurt from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures inspired by My Favorite Things from The Sound of Music & Wild Honey by U2
- Rainbow Popsicle from The Urban Mrs inspired by Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice
- Salted Ripple Chip No Machine Ice Cream from Cupcakes & Kale Chips inspired by Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan
- Salted Peanut Swirl Peanut Butter Ice Cream from girlichef inspired by Salt Peanuts by The Quintet
- Shall We Dance? Fairy Cakes from The Ninja Baker inspired by Shall We Dance from the Japanese Film
- Sugar Crusted Zucchini Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake inspired by Sugar, Sugar by the Archies
- Tangerine Sorbet from Webicurean inspired by Tangerine Speedo by Caviar
- Yeasted Banana Bread from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner inspired by I Like Bread and Butter by The New Beats
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement