Do you celebrate your heritage? It is something my family has done all my life. My mom is from Germany and my American dad fell in love with her and everything German. He learned the language, played the music, danced the traditional dances, and truly loved German cuisine. My parents were a part of a German club. The most special meals were those when my mom cooked family recipes or my dad grilled German-style sausages. We celebrate our heritage in every way, including around the family table.
Food, traditions, and photographs help preserve family history. Here is a photo of my opa, oma, mom, uncle, and aunt in Breslau 1940 (was Germany at the time). It is amazing this photograph still exists after what they went through during the war (WWII).
I have found many people to be proud of their heritage. I can see their eyes light up when they talk about their family’s history and culture. I witnessed it in my own neighborhood when we had an International TasteFest event. Everyone was so excited and wanted to share the food representing their family roots. The conversations, tastes, and smiles were incredible. It is why I chose “Celebrating Family Heritage” to be the event I am hosting for this weekend’s Sunday Supper.
The excitement from my fellow Sunday Supper bloggers blew me away. As soon as I posted the event information in the Sunday Supper facebook group I immediately received wonderful responses. The RSVP’s started rolling in and each day the participation increased. The recipes are from all over the world. They are very special because they are a part of the personal history from each of the bloggers. I wish I could sit at every one of their family’s table and enjoy the meals and listen to their stories.
Ready to get hungry? Take a look at what is coming for this event:
- Scotch Eggs and Brotchen Rolls – The Meltaways
- Apple Kuchen – Mrs. Mama Hen
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Katherine Martinelli
- Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash – Make Dinner Easy
- Potato and Spinach Knishes – The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- German Potato Salad – Magnolia Days
- Sausage and Broccoli with Orecchiette – Daddy Knows Less
- Chicken Enchiladas Suizas – The Weekend Gourmet
- Strawberry Tiramisu – Chocolate Moosey
- Chocoflan – Juanita’s Cocina
- Egg Liqueur Cake – The German Foodie
- Rasmalai (Ricotta in Sweet Coconut Milk with Almonds and Pistachio) – Sue’s Nutrition Blog
- Mediterranean Couscous Salad – In the Kitchen With KP
- Rouladen – Midlife Road Trip
- Lemon Balm Roasted Chicken and Rum Raising Cupcakes with Maple Frosting – What Smells So Good?
- Keftikas (Turkish Meat and Leek Patties) – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Croque Monsieur with a Béchamel sauce – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Momma’s Meat Pie with Poutine Sauce – Momma’s Meals
- Polish Rustic Plum Tart – Comfy Cuisine
- Drop Scones (Scottish Pancakes) – Cositas Bonitas
- Jamaican Cornmeal Pudding – The Lovely Pantry
- Borscht Shooters – Cookistry
- Shepard’s Pie – Big Bear’s Wife
- Parsnip Cakes – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Roasted Curried Vegetables – Hot Curries & Cold Beer
- Portuguese Mussels and Shrimp in a Chorizo Sauce – Family Foodie
- Kalbi Steak Kimchi Grilled Cheese – Damn Delicious
- Wine pairings for all the recipes – ENOFYLZ
Wow! I can hardly wait! Such deliciousness from all over the world. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag on twitter for even more foodie fun. Join in and share your recipes and photos too. Follow the Sunday Supper Pinterest board to see all the mouth-watering food pics. Let us all celebrate our heritage with food, family, and friends!
International Fork image courtesy of tbgdesign.com
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.