A little girl sat and watched the Sunday morning routine. Her mom was in the kitchen mixing up the batter. Her dad was pouring coffee and finishing up the bacon. Then they gathered at the table and chatted while dad made waffles. That little girl was me and I treasure the memories of those Sunday mornings long ago. I wonder if my dad would like different waffle flavors such as these Spiced Banana Nut Waffles.
My parents made the same waffles for many years. When their trusty old waffle iron quit working, a hunt for a new one took a while. They tried several ones and it was never the same. Then finally I found one that was just right and gave it to them for Christmas. Later after my dad passed away, my mom gave me that waffle iron. It is the one in the photos. Unfortunately it’s not made anymore. I hope it keeps working for many years.
I’ve never made waffles with my parent’s recipe. Why? No big reason, I suppose it’s simply because I like to try new things. Ones I’ve made and shared before are Buttermilk Sourdough, Cornmeal Buttermilk, and Honey Nut Oatmeal. This latest batch is definitely different than plain old ordinary waffles.
Spiced Banana Nut Waffles are packed with flavor. It starts with the base of banana and pecan. Then warm cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom spice it up nicely. To bump it up even more, the waffles are sweetened with both brown sugar and molasses. There’s richness and warmth in every bite.
The waffles are thick, dense, and hearty. Imagine a spiced banana nut bread in waffle form. One of these waffles topped with banana slices, pecans, and syrup will keep you going for a while.
Are you a fan of waffles? How about a whole bunch of waffle recipes? All you have to do is scroll down past the recipe and big collage photo to find a list. Sunday Supper tastemakers are sharing ones to celebrate National Waffle Iron Day on June 29th. How fun! Thanks to Sue of A Palatable Pastime for hosting this tasty event.
Spiced Banana Nut Waffles
For the waffles
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup milk whole recommended
- 2 eggs
- 1 ripe banana mashed
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter melted
- 2 bananas sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Maple syrup
Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom in a large bowl. Whisk in pecans.
Whisk together milk, eggs, banana, brown sugar, and molasses in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter.
Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir to until dry ingredients are moistened.
Heat waffle iron. Lightly spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray.
Ladle and spread 1/2 batter onto waffle iron and bake according to the manufacturer's instructions. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve waffles immediately or keep warm on a rack in the oven on the lowest heat setting.
Serve with banana slices, chopped pecans, and syrup.
For thinner waffles, ladle 1/3 of the batter for each batch to make 12 waffles.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living 1986 Annual Recipes cookbook (out of print).
It’s time to get out the waffle iron! Just look at all the waffle recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers. You’ll be making waffles for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Kayle (The Cooking Actress)
Thursday 14th of July 2016
I LOVE all the flavors at play here!! It's like cereal in waffle form-which is of course superior :D
Lauren @ Sew You Think You Can Cook
Thursday 30th of June 2016
I think my mom's waffle iron makes waffles differently than mine. I doubt they still make it. I should probably "call dibs." ;-) Your recipe sounds like a wonderful morning.
Sunday 26th of June 2016
What a gorgeous, delicious stack of waffles! I have memories of my mom making waffles and my dad manning the bacon, too. Sunday mornings were the only times my dad did any cooking in the kitchen :)
Cindys Recipes and Writings
Sunday 26th of June 2016
I was so curious to see which spices you added. What a great sounding flavor combo and with bananas!
Sunday 26th of June 2016
Oh how I love hearing about your memory of weekend mornings I hope and pray my kids will have the same memories of me decades from now