This summer has been super hot and dry. Well, except when it rains for three minutes and creates an outdoor steam room. The area I am in has had very high temperatures and a drought. It recently hit a record high of 106 degrees. The trees are stressing and already dropping leaves. Gardening and yard work are difficult in the heat. A nice frosty-cold treat like peach sorbet helps me to cool down and beat the heat.
Fresh local peaches have been available at the farmers market. Every time I have a juicy, sweet peach I think of my dad making peaches and cream when I was a kid. He would slice them into a bowl, add a little sugar, and pour cream on top. It was a simple dessert taking advantage of the season’s bounty. It also did not require using the oven and heating up the kitchen.
Peach sorbet is also a simple dessert. It only takes a few minutes of cooking time to dissolve the sugar. Once the mixture is cooked, chilled, and blended, it is ready for the ice cream maker. The kitchen stays cool and you have a frozen treat to enjoy. My husband said it is like a big frozen peach. True, except a little “fluffier” and easier to scoop.
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Rice Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
What a list! A great resource for summer cooking. Join the Sunday Supper conversation today (July 15th) on twitter for more beat the heat inspiration. There will be a live chat 3:00 to 4:00pm Eastern Time. Use the #SundaySupper hashtag and tweet your own recipes and food photos. Follow the Pinterest board too.
What is your favorite sorbet flavor? I want to make more and could use some suggestions. Perhaps a blend of fruits or using fresh herbs. Something different and tasty. I have a feeling I will be needing lots of frozen treats this super hot summer. Stay cool!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 ripe medium-sized peaches peeled, pitted, and chopped
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
In a medium saucepan, heat the sugar and water over medium-high heat until sugar has dissolved and the liquid is clear. Add the chopped peaches and lemon juice and stir to combine. Remove the mixture from the heat and cool to room temperature. Refrigerate mixture for at least 8 hours.
Place the mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer the sorbet to a freezer safe container. Freeze for at least 2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
A recipe for homemade peach sorbet using fresh peaches. A delicious frozen treat for summer or any time of the year.