A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away… Well, actually it was a few years ago and in a Florida kitchen. A college-bound girl said a few simple words: “What I’ll miss most is our Sunday Supper”. Little did she know her words would be the catalyst that would cause her mom to start a movement. Since then her mom has united people around the world to bring back Sunday Supper around the family table. She also inspired me with many things including her flatbread recipes. In her honor, I made Mediterranean Flatbread to celebrate the first National Sunday Supper month.
Who is this movement starting mom? It is my friend Isabel Laessig, aka Family Foodie, founder of the Sunday Supper Movement and Food and Wine Conference. I’ve watched Sunday Supper grow from Isabel’s very first tweet asking people what they were cooking for #SundaySupper. To see a simple hashtag reach go from a few to millions is astonishing and definitely worth celebrating.
It’s way more than a hashtag. It is all the people, recipes, stories, adventures, and events that inspire cooking and enjoying a family meal. The hashtag ties all of those things together throughout the internet on blogs and social media. I am proud to be a part of it all since the beginning. I brought Pear and Stilton Salad to the first virtual progressive Sunday Supper back on January 8, 2012.
About the Mediterranean Flatbread: It’s an easy meal you can make in a few minutes. The most involved is cutting and slicing. Using pre-made, store-bought flatbread makes it super easy. The same with pesto. Toppings are artichoke hearts, olives, onion, bell pepper, capers, and garlic. They are lightly dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Oh, and there is feta cheese too. Yummy!
Celebrations call for food and beverages. Scroll down to find a list of recipes to kick off National Sunday Supper Month in a tasty way. And what a list it is! It will be fun to read the story behind each recipe or what Sunday Supper means to them. Cheers to all and especially Isabel for bringing us together around a big virtual family table!
- 2 pre-made flatbreads such as Flatout
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 6 ounces marinated artichoke hearts drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 3 ounces sliced kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Place flatbreads on a baking sheet. Bake for 2 minutes.
Spread pesto on flatbreads leaving a 1/2 inch border.
Place artichoke hearts, bell pepper, onion, olives, capers, and garlic in a medium bowl. Drizzle olive oil and vinegar on top.
Gently toss to combine. Place vegetable mixture evenly on flatbreads.
Sprinkle cheese on top of flatbreads.
Bake for 7 to 11 minutes, or until vegetables and cheese slightly softens.
Cut flatbreads into slices. Serve immediately.
Mediterranean Flatbread is an easy to make meal or appetizer. It's loaded with pesto, artichokes, bell pepper, onion, olives and feta cheese.
January is National Sunday Supper Month. Check out these recipes by tastemakers from around the world in celebration of this special event:
Appetizers and Soups:
- Borscht from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Cheesy Garlic Crescent Rolls from Wallflour Girl
- Cheesy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms from Runner’s Tales
- Creamy Zucchini Soup from Lydia’s Flexitarian Kitchen
- Garlic Chili Tiger Prawns from Food Lust People Love
- Honey Bacon Ranch Boneless Chicken Wings from From Gate to Plate
- Lion’s Head Meatball Soup from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- New England Seafood Chowder from Curious Cuisiniere
- Potato and Carrot Leek Soup from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Steve’s Crab Dip from Monica’s Table
- Almond Breaded Pork Chops from Casa de Crews
- Bourbon Glazed Porkchops from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Cauliflower Tetrazzini with Poblano Peppers from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Chicken Pot Pie from Feeding Big and more
- Cranberry Mustard Pork Chop Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Fideua (Catalan Pasta Paella) from Caroline’s Cooking
- French-Inspired Macaroni and Cheese from MyGourmetConnection
- Grandma’s Fried Chicken from The Freshman Cook
- Gluten Free Buffalo Quinoa Vegetable Bowls from Fearless Dining
- Huevos Rancheros from Palatable Pastime
- Indian Spiced Roast Salmon from Soni’s Food
- Italian Style Swiss Chard and Beans with Orecchietti Pasta from Delaware Girl Eats
- Korean Spicy Braised Mackerel from kimchi MOM
- Larb Gai (Spicy Thai Chicken Salad) from Rhubarb and Honey
- Mediterranean Flatbread from Magnolia Days
- Mustard-Crusted Pork Roast from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- New York Strip Roast Dinner from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Red Wine-Mushroom Braised Beef from The Crumby Cupcake
- Rustic Portuguese Chicken Stew from Family Foodie
- Sausage & Pasta in a Quick Tomato Sauce from The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Savory Ham, Cheese and Sage Waffles from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Shrimp and Asparagus Crepes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Simple, Healthy, Light and Lemony Fettuccine from MidLife Road Trip
- Simple Roast Chicken from Get the Good Stuff
- Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Soup from Food Done Light
- Smoked Mozzarella and Sausage Pizza from Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Smothered Pork Chops from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spinach Spätzli with Sage and Speck from Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Turkey Cutlets with Sausage Stuffing from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Ultimate Mac and Cheese from Our Good Life
- Vegan Mexican Rice and Lentils from PancakeWarriors
- Ziti with Porcini Bolognese Sauce from Cooking Chat
Bread, Side Dishes, and Salad:
- Gramma Buckholt’s Yeast Rolls from The Weekend Gourmet
- Lager and Rye Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower from Nosh My Way
- Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls from Wholistic Woman
- Winter Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Desserts and Sweets:
- Bacon Buttermilk Biscuit with Chocolate Gravy from Brunch ‘N Bites
- Caramel Apple Rice Krispies Treats from Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Kahlua Buttercream Frosting from Flour On My Face
- Chocolate Hazelnut Tart from Taste And See
- Death by Chocolate from Desserts Required
- Fudge Frosted Brownies from Party Food and Entertaining
- Gluten Free Tropical Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffins from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Layered Mousse Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Flourless Chocolate Cake Roll from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Pistachio Macaron with Apricot Ganache from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Take the Sunday Supper Month Pledge plus Family Friendly Recipes from Sunday Supper Movement
Help us celebrate National Sunday Supper Month by entering the Idaho® Potato Let’s Poutine recipe contest, sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission, with prizes of $500, $200 and $100, plus a ticket for each winner to Food and Wine Conference 2016. All the rules and conditions for entry can be found on our Sunday Supper Movement website.
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Sunday 14th of February 2016
It was a fun meet up! Thanks for arranging evntryhieg.I would be totally pissed about the 5K. Demand you money back or something! There was one race back in '98 or '99 that my friend and I went to run by Perimeter Mall. We were doing race day registration and when we showed up the race was nowhere to be found! We weren't the only ones there either. We knew the race was legit because we had run it the year before.
Sunday 10th of January 2016
Yep 4 yrs and the way in which our group has grown!I still remember our conversations on FB groups back then :) Love your mediterranean flatbreads and flavors sound absolutely delicious!!
Sunday 10th of January 2016
We're making pizza today. I'll have to make a "blank" and then spread it with a pesto base. Love the color and flavor.
Saturday 9th of January 2016
Awesome! We love all of these foods
Lynne @ MyGourmetConnection
Saturday 9th of January 2016
I love the toppings on your flatbread - artichokes are a personal favorite.