Some folks got together and declared independence. Years later folks get together to celebrate that very special declaration. There are parties, barbecues, and festivities galore. All around you see the colors of a flag. Red, white, and blue are everywhere. It’s even in this tasty Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball.
Sunday Supper is all about food and gatherings. So you know the tastemakers had to get together and throw a virtual party. We were given the mission to bring something patriotic, easy to make, and “all American” to celebrate July 4th.
A cheese ball fits the theme totally. Why? Because, according to legend, the first cheese ball was made in 1801 and presented to President Thomas Jefferson at the White House as a symbol of patriotism. It was a mammoth 1,235 pounds. Now that’s a big cheese ball.
My cheese ball isn’t nearly as big. Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball weighs in just over one pound. However it is big on flavor. It has all the elements of a cheese tray. There are cheeses, berries, honey, and nuts. A bonus is patriotic colors. Mixed together are red cranberries, white cream cheese, and blue from both blueberries and blue cheese.
Another bonus is the cheese ball is great all year. Sure it’s fitting for a July 4th celebration. It also works anytime you want an easy appetizer to make. Mix together cheeses and honey. Stir in berries. Shape into a ball and roll in pecans. Chill it for a while and serve. Hands-on time is only a few minutes.
How do you celebrate America’s independence? Do you throw a party or go to one? Scroll down below the recipe and big collage photo to find a list of recipes. Also take a look at my Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip and Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini for a couple more recipes for American celebrations. Big thanks to Cindy of Cindy’s Recipes and Writings for hosting this fun patriotic virtual party.
Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball
- 8 ounces crumbled blue cheese at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries chopped
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans toasted
- Crackers for serving
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, blue cheese, and honey until combined. It does not have to be smooth as there will be lumps from the blue cheese crumbles.
Add cranberries and blueberries and stir to combine.
Shape mixture into a ball. If mixture is very soft, chill for 30 minutes before shaping into a ball.
Roll ball in pecans to coat the outside.
Chill ball at least 3 hours or overnight (wrap ball in plastic wrap after 3 hours if chilling overnight).
Serve cheese ball with crackers.
Time stated does not include time for chilling cheese ball prior to serving.
Are you ready to celebrate US Independence Day? Preparing for your celebration does not have to be difficult. Take a look at these easy to make recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers:
- Honey Berry Blue Cheese Ball by Magnolia Days
- How to make Chicken Yakitori in Skewers by Asian In America
America the Beautiful Beverages
Raise the Flag Breakfasts
- Breakfast Cake Stars with Strawberry Syrup by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Red, White, and Blue Berrylicious Smoothie Bowl by The Hungry Goddess
For the Red, White and Blue Salads and Main Dishes
- Bang Bang Pork Chops by Wholistic Woman
- Blueberry and Watermelon Arugula Salad by A Mind Full Mom
- Blueberry Barbecue Sauce for Red, White and Blue Chicken Skewers by Caroline’s Cooking
- Firecracker Hot Dogs by Sunday Supper Movement
- Founder’s Mac and Cheese by Cooking Chat
- Pumped Up Potato Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Red Hot Chicken and Blue Cheese Bites by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red White & Blue Caprese Salad by Go Epicurista
- Red White and Blue Fruit Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Red, White, and Blue Salad by Simple and Savory
- Watermelon Salad with Feta & Blueberries by Monica’s Table
- Yankee Doodle Noodle Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Oh Say Can You See Desserts
- All-American Patriotic Dessert Tarts by Family Around The Table
- Berry Cheesecake Flag Dessert by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cherry Vanilla Poke Cake by Cookin’ Mimi
- Easy (No Bake!) Two Bite Berry Pies by Cooking With Carlee
- Firecracker Muddy Buddies by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Flag Fruit Pizza by Dash of Evans
- Homemade Snow Cones by Palatable Pastime
- Patriotic M&M Cookie Bars by Alida’s Kitchen
- Patriotic Smoothie Pops by Crazed Mom
- Red, White, and Blue Berry Pound Cake Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Red, White and Blue Fruit Kabob Flag by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Red, White, and Blue Fruit Tart by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Granita by Dessert Geek
- Red, White, and Blue M&M Cookies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Red White and Blue Parfaits by Desserts Required
- Red, White and Blue Popsicles by Our Good Life
- Red, White, and Blue Rice Krispie Treats by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Red, White and Blue Shooting Stars by The Freshman Cook
- Red White and Blue Strawberries with Chantilly Cream by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Rice Krispies Treat Birthday Cake by Pies and Plots
- Rosemary Cookies with Tomato Jam by The Finer Cookie
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.