Happy Easter! Today families all over the world gather to share a meal and celebrate. Eggs of all sorts are hunted, pretty dresses are worn, ears disappear from chocolate rabbits, and memories are made. It is a happy time and marked by all the beautiful flowers blooming in spring. Azaleas, lillies, viburnum, forsythia, phlox, and wisteria brighten up the landscape. My favorite flower, peony, is a spring bloomer. The first one popped open this past week. It is a soft pink and has the loveliest scent:
What is your family’s traditional Easter meal? For my family it is ham, potato salad, vegetables, cucumber salad, rolls and a dessert like an Apricot Nut Cake. Wine is served along with iced tea for the kids and non-drinkers. There is an appetizer or two to nibble on while we are talking and finishing up cooking.
Herbed Goat Cheese Dip is one of my go-to appetizers. I have made it on several occasions and serve it with veggies, crostini, crackers, or chips. I knew it would be the recipe I would share for today’s Easter Progressive Sunday Supper. There are a lot of good recipes in this menu by fellow Inspiring Foodies bloggers. The details for each can be found on their blogs. I am getting hungry just looking at the list:
- Appetizer: Me – Recipe below – Herbed Goat Cheese Dip
- Bread: Carla – Chocolate Moosey – Lemon-Cherry Hot Cross Buns
- Main Dish: Lori – Burp! Where Food Happens – Ham with Pineapple Chutney
- Main Dish: Isabel – Family Foodie – Crown Pork Roast
- Pasta: Angie – Big Bear’s Wife – Colby Jack Crab and Crawfish Pasta
- Side Dish: Amrita – Beetle’s Kitchen Escapades – Scalloped Potatoes
- Dessert: Jen – Juanita’s Cocina – Coconut Infused Carrot Cake with a Coconut Frosting
A couple of notes on my recipe. It is adapted from the original recipe found in the Best of America Traditional Regional Recipes cookbook. (The link is to the current release in paperback. I have the hardback edition published in 1994.) I added thyme, salt, and additional half-and-half to adjust consistency.
Thank you Isabel for another great Sunday Supper event! I am proud to be a part of your Sunday Supper mission and the Inspiring Foodies team. Please follow the #SundaySupper hashtag on twitter today and every Sunday. You never now what recipes or inspiring blogs you will discover. The photos are mouth-watering on their own. Have a wonderful Easter and enjoy your day. Cheers!
Herbed Goat Cheese Dip
- 10 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half plus more if needed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor or blender, add the goat cheese and half-and-half and process to blend. Add the lemon juice and process until smooth.
Transfer mixture to a small bowl. Stir in the thyme, chives, parsley, and basil. Stir in additional half and half if mixture is too thick or for desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve as a dip with vegetables, chips, or crackers.
An appetizer made with goat cheese and fresh herbs. Serve as a dip with vegetables, chips, or crackers.