My favorite season starts in a few days. Signs of it are already clear. Camellias are blooming. My Chinese snowball viburnum tree is loaded with buds. Those massive viburnum blooms are a sheer spectacle. I see tiny buds on hydrangeas too. Even pesky weeds are popping up. Days are getting warmer with the coming of spring. It was a perfectly beautiful day when I was photographing these Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies.
The weather changes fast here in the South. It was chilly and rainy the day I baked the cookies. That kind of day makes me want comfort food. Something rich and chocolate-y was on my mind. So instead of an original plan of light and fruity, I went with dark and luscious. All I had to do was incorporate white chocolate in some way.
Why use white chocolate? It is the theme of this month’s Creative Cookie Exchange. I first thought of a buttery cookie base and add in dried fruit and nuts. I had a packages of dried cranberries and blueberries waiting to be used. There is always plenty of nuts in my freezer. However it was all over when I saw bars of baking chocolate in my pantry.
How are the Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies? They are like little brownie blobs (and blob being a positive thing). They are soft and fudgy on the inside. The tops are cracked and have that classic brownie crispness. The inside is also loaded with white chocolate chips and pecans. It’s hard to keep my hand out of the cookie jar with these hanging out in there.
Do you enjoy white chocolate? I do except I have to eat it in small amounts. I’ll get a rash on my face if I have too much of it. A few chips in a cookie occasionally works for me. I could not imagine the holidays going by without making a batch of Tiger Butter candy (which uses white chocolate). Scroll down to find more cookie recipes using it.
Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
Melt semi-sweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and butter in a medium stainless steel bowl over a pot of simmering water. Remove from heat when smooth (no lumps) and cool to room temperature.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or non-stick liner.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
Beat sugar, eggs, coffee granules, and vanilla in a large bowl for 3 minutes using an electric mixer at high speed. Add melted chocolate mixture and beat until combined.
Add flour mixture and mix until combined and dry ingredients are moistened.
Stir in white chocolate chips and pecans.
Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Bake until tops of cookies begin to crack, about 7 to 11 minutes. Do not over-bake.
Cool cookies on the baking sheet for 1 minute then carefully transfer to a wire rack (the cookies are very soft). Cool completely.
Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies are rich and filled with white chocolate chips and pecans. They are soft cookies with a brownie texture and cracked top.
Recipe adapted from one in the Pillsbury The Complete Book of Baking cookbook published in 1993.
The Creative Cookie Exchange theme this month is White Chocolate. White chocolate is seriously underrated as a baking ingredient. It complements so many other flavors so nicely, like citrus, spices, berries, winter squash, etc. If you want to see all the ways white chocolate can be used to make terrific cookies, you have come to the right place! If you are a blogger and want to join in the fun, contact Laura via email (thespicedlife AT gmail DOT com) and she will get you added to our Facebook group where discuss our cookies and share links.
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Black Bottomed Banana & White Choc Chunk Blondies from Baking in Pyjamas
- Cashew and White Chocolate Chips Cookies from SimplyVeggies
- Citrus Olive Oil Biscotti with White Chocolate Chunks from The Spiced Life
- Cookies and Cream Blondies from Sidewalk Shoes
- Double Chocolate Brownie Cookies from Magnolia Days
- Japanese Yuzu Citrus Biscotti from NinjaBaker
- Key Lime White Chocolate Chip Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Liquid Cocaine (Espresso-White Chocolate) Cookies from Food Lust People Love
- Matcha and White Chocolate Cookies from Spiceroots
- Oatmeal Cookies with White Chocolate Chips and Toffee Bits from A Baker’s House
- Vanilla, Currant, and White Chocolate Cookies from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- White Chocolate Lemon and Oats Cookies from Bakingyummies
- White Chocolate Oreo Cheesecake Cookies from Made With Love
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Bars from Upstate Ramblings
- White Chocolate Snickerdoodles from Our Good Life
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.