The dutch oven was perched over an open flame. Ground beef sizzled inside of it and became browned and crumbly. The cooked beef was poured into a colander to drain the fat. Veggies softened in the pan and then the beef and some potatoes joined in along with them. Water and seasonings were poured in and simmered for a bit. Milk was added for creaminess. Then came the final and glorious addition of sharp cheddar cheese. It melted as it was stirred in and soon Cheeseburger Chowder was ready to enjoy.
Ah yes, cheese, glorious cheese! It is something my kitchen is never without. Cheddar, goat, blue, and parmesan are always on hand. I sprinkle cheese on salads, bake it in bread, melt it in paninis, top it on pasta, snack on it, and stir it in to soups. How to cook with cheese? My main tip is to get quality cheese. The quick and convenient processed or pre-shredded cheese can sometimes separate and not be as smooth. The flavor of quality cheese is worth it too.
How is the cheeseburger chowder? It is hearty, creamy, and has all the flavors and elements of a cheeseburger with fries. Serve it with slices of French bread with melted cheese on top for the bread factor. I was excited to make it for my husband who really enjoys burgers. We sat down at the table and he looked and asked “white chicken chili?”. When I told him what it was he had a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. Come to find out he had a cheeseburger and fries for lunch. This is something that happens frequently – I wind up making the same or similar thing for dinner that he had for lunch. Anyway, he very much enjoyed the chowder and it will be something I’ll make for him again.
How much do you enjoy cheese? Sunday Supper is once again partnering with American Family Insurance to encourage people to cook and share meals at the family dinner table. We are celebrating cheese and what a great event it is! Scroll down to find links to recipes with cheese by Sunday Supper contributors. Also, check out AmFam’s Back To The Family Dinner Table Pinterest board for more recipes and inspiration for family meals. The board is a great resource when searching for what to cook for either a Weekday Supper or Sunday Supper.
Follow American Family Insurance so you won’t miss AmFam’s eCookbook featuring many of our favorite recipes coming out just in time for the holidays:
Pinterest | Twitter | Facebook |Google+ | YouTube | Linkedin
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Beef Recipes cookbook published in 1977 (out of print).
Here are more recipes with cheese by Sunday Supper contributors:
- Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Soup by Chocolate Moosey
- Fettucine Pumpkin Cauli-fredo by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheeseburger Chowder by Magnolia Days
- Three Cheese Lasagna with Meat Sauce by Webicurean
- Japanese Grilled Cheese & Kale Salad by NinjaBaking.com
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Bake by Country Girl in the Village
- Spinach Feta Greek Impossible Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Cheesy Vegetarian Enchilada Soup by Curious Cuisiniere
- Steakhouse Bacon Alfredo Pasta by Juanita’s Cocina
- 3 Cheese Pumpkin Mac and Cheese by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cheddar Popcorn Soup by MarocMama
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Cheese Strata by Momma’s Meals
- Chili Relleno Casserole by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- French Onion and Apple Soup by Supper for a Steal
- Cheesy Italian Sausage & Kale Quiche by girlichef
- Lighter Stove-top Mac and Cheese by Alida’s Kitchen
- Cheddar Potato Dumpling Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Prosciutto, Chevre & Radish Toasted Sandwich by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cheesesteak Poutine by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Tomatoes and Broccoli Rabe Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here → Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by American Family Insurance. All opinions are my own.