The corkscrew is turned and twisted into the cork. A tug on the lever pulls the cork from the bottle. That moment of release is sounded with a “Pop”. It is a special moment indeed. Right then is when wine really comes to life. It is when wine becomes a part of meal, celebration, or simply enjoyed on its own. The versatility of cooking with wine spans from savory to sweet. Each wine has a flavor profile which matches and enhances food flavors. When a special wine arrived at my door, I knew exactly what I wanted to make with it. Berry Burgundy Sorbet was soon created and churning in my ice cream freezer.
What special wine arrived? It was the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Hearty Burgundy by Gallo Family Vineyards. It has a celebratory label and a blend to match closely to the original one. The flavors range from dark berry to plum. It is the dark berries I focused on when making the sorbet. I used a combination of blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries.
Berry Burgundy Sorbet is a wonderful and light dessert. It is the right ending to a big meal, especially one made or paired with Hearty Burgundy. The meal will flow nicely from beginning to end and will be tied together with the wine. The sorbet stays soft even after freezing because of the wine. It has a balance of tartness and sweetness along with a harmony of berry flavors from both the fruit and wine.
A milestone birthday deserves a celebration. Sunday Supper is proud to partner with Gallo Family Vineyards to share recipes for Hearty Burgundy’s 50th Birthday. Scroll down to find the list and links to each one. We have fantastic lineup of everything from beverages to desserts.
Berry Burgundy Sorbet
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 8 ounces raspberries by weight
- 8 ounces blueberries by weight
- 8 ounces blackberries by weight
- 3/4 cup Burgundy wine
Heat sugar and water in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves to make a simple syrup. Remove from the heat to cool.
Purée berries in a food processor fitted with a knife blade.
Press the puréed berries through a fine mesh sieve set over a medium bowl to get the berry juice. Discard seeds and pulp.
Add simple syrup and wine to the berry juice and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled or overnight.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Transfer sorbet to a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours. Serve and enjoy!
Time stated includes refrigeration, churning, and freezing. Hands-on is only about 15 minutes.
Food and celebrations go hand in hand. Take a look at these recipes by Sunday Supper contributors featuring Gallo Family Vineyards Hearty Burgundy to celebrate its 50th birthday:
- Fruity Burgundy Sangria by Shockingly Delicious
- Beef Burgundy in Puff Pastry by Webicurean
- Beef Burgundy Pasta by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Burgundy Mushroom Sauce over Beef by The Dinner-Mom
- Classic Coq au Vin by Foxes Love Lemons
- Cornish Beef Pasty with Burgundy Gravy by Neighborfood
- Hearty Burgundy and Chocolate Chili by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Hearty Burgundy Beef Stew by Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Majestic Burgundy Mushrooms & Cookie Cups with Burgundy Cream by NinjaBaking.com
- Mushroom Bolognese Kale Lasagna by Alida’s Kitchen
- Oeufs en Meurette by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pollo Alla Cacciatorra (Hunter-Style Chicken) by The Foodie Army Wife
- Red Wine Braised Short Ribs with Polenta by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Roasted Salmon with Burgundy-Balsamic Glaze by girlichef
- Sausage & Mushroom Ragu by The Messy Baker
- Sausages in Burgundy Sauce with Mushrooms by Soni’s Food
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle by Hip Foodie Mom
- Slow Cooker Hearty Burgundy Wine Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Berry Burgundy Sorbet by Magnolia Days
- Red Wine Cherry Chocolate Bars by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.
Get the best Southern food, wine, and gardening tips!
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.