Valentine’s Day is for couples. There is no surprise in that statement. Flowers, cards, and special meals for two are big elements in the celebration. It’s easy to get flowers and cards. The special meal for two can be a little challenging. Going out can mean dining at a crowded restaurant and ordering from an over-priced and limited special occasion menu. An intimate meal at home is a great alternative. The question is what to make for your special someone. I’ll make baked custard for my sweetheart.
Why am I making baked custard? My husband really enjoys pudding, custard, flan, whipped cream, and any creamy dessert. I knew he would like vanilla over any other custard flavors. There is a touch a nutmeg and I gave it a very light touch to go with his taste preferences. It’s very easy to make and the result is a silky smooth custard that is both elegant and comforting.
Cooking for two can be a challenge. So many recipes and food items are for four or more. I’ve had to be very creative over the years to cook for two and not be wasteful in the process. I was very excited when the Sunday Supper Valentine’s For Two event was announced. Now there is a great resource of recipes for two here in this post. Scroll down to see the list and links to each one. Big thanks to Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen for hosting the event.
What are you planning for Valentine’s Day? Do you celebrate by going out or staying at home? We prefer to stay home and away from the crowds. I’m planning an easy meal of spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and baked custard for dessert. Or perhaps I’ll make one of the recipes below. They all sound so good. Join me in checking out each one.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Cookbook for Two published in 1981 (no longer in print).
Are you making plans for Valentine’s Day? Get out your pen and paper to make a shopping list. Then get to clicking on these recipes and find ones to make for your sweetheart.
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia en Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement