Valentine’s Day is for couples. There is no surprise in that statement. Flowers, cards, and special meals for two are big elements in the celebration. It’s easy to get flowers and cards. The special meal for two can be a little challenging. Going out can mean dining at a crowded restaurant and ordering from an over-priced and limited special occasion menu. An intimate meal at home is a great alternative. The question is what to make for your special someone. I’ll make baked custard for my sweetheart.
Why am I making baked custard? My husband really enjoys pudding, custard, flan, whipped cream, and any creamy dessert. I knew he would like vanilla over any other custard flavors. There is a touch a nutmeg and I gave it a very light touch to go with his taste preferences. It’s very easy to make and the result is a silky smooth custard that is both elegant and comforting.
Cooking for two can be a challenge. So many recipes and food items are for four or more. I’ve had to be very creative over the years to cook for two and not be wasteful in the process. I was very excited when the Sunday Supper Valentine’s For Two event was announced. Now there is a great resource of recipes for two here in this post. Scroll down to see the list and links to each one. Big thanks to Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen for hosting the event.
What are you planning for Valentine’s Day? Do you celebrate by going out or staying at home? We prefer to stay home and away from the crowds. I’m planning an easy meal of spinach salad with warm bacon dressing and baked custard for dessert. Or perhaps I’ll make one of the recipes below. They all sound so good. Join me in checking out each one.
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place two 10-ounce ramekins in an 8- or 9-inch square baking dish.
Heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it barely reaches a simmer.
While the milk is heating, whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt, and a dash of nutmeg.
Very gradually add heated milk whisking constantly while adding. Do not pour in all the milk at once or it will cook/scramble the eggs.
Divide the mixture equally in the ramekins. If foamy on top, use a spoon to skim off the foam.
Lightly sprinkle tops with nutmeg.
Pour hot water into the baking dish to a depth of 1 inch.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove custard cups from water and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
Time stated does not include cooling and chilling.
Recipe adapted from Southern Living Cookbook for Two published in 1981 (no longer in print).
Are you making plans for Valentine’s Day? Get out your pen and paper to make a shopping list. Then get to clicking on these recipes and find ones to make for your sweetheart.
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia en Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement
Saturday 16th of April 2016
Loans with bad credit report
As beforehand stated, PersonalLoans.com is not a lending employment, and we don't become involved within the technique of demand ffor payment collection. As a part of emotional loan documwnts your lender bestow present on you, you will see thorough info regarding affectingir specific document collection practices.
in case you are uncertain in sevceral method regarding what on earth those collection practices entail,we recommebd that you discover whichh difficulty by impressive lender. through PersonalLoans.com we're proud of our coverage about solely in force via lenders which badger delinquent accounts in a way explicitly fair also reasonable.
Legal Disclaimer:PersonalLoans.comsphrases about productivity furthermore effective PersonalLoans.com privateness policy regard toward the use oof this web site and inherent companies. PersonalLoans.com matches borrowers via lenders furthermore so the precise phrases furthermore conditions regarding the particular lender donate place till each loan a borrower takes dated.several display like APR, loan amounts, curiosity or other loan details are solely estimations. reality strikingse quantities leave vary stopping at lender furthermore through borrower. Lending selections are based on divese components, together with but not limited til credit historical past, conhscription hitorical past, furthermore loan repayment hitorical past.disturb be aeare so a few lenders could perform credit score checks as a part of impressiveir credit score bod applaud course of. you're below no levy to usee PersonalLoans.com's refurbish till initiate electronic mail, or demand toward credit or all loan yield by means of any fix provider or lender. Customer notice:a private mortgage is a web-based mortgage ranging generally against $1, 0zero0 too $three5,000. private loans are intended for short-term financial reduction and do not represent long-time period financial options. consumers dealing with proposed law furthermore credit score difficulties ought to hunt down schedule furthermore credit advisory help. yyou will not sjield charged either charges tto use privateloans.coms services.
Home-ignore at present- HowIt moving parts-compliments requirements- Testionials transmit-rates &charges-credit score help data-site cross GovLoans-payments -credit 101 -instantaneous decision Loans
antalya escort kızlar
Sunday 26th of April 2015
I visit every day some websites and blogs to read articles or reviews, however this weblog offers feature based posts.
ny bagel cafe and deli doral boats
Thursday 18th of December 2014
What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity concerning unpredicted feelings.
Tuesday 11th of November 2014
Hi there colleagues, pleasant article and good arguments commented here, I am actually enjoying by these.
gel socks manufacturer
Tuesday 11th of November 2014
GREAT moisturizing socks, i like it,I strongly recommend these kmucutie gel socks "