How many things are truly American? I can name one for sure: Labor Day. How great for a country to celebrate people who work hard and contribute to the nation’s prosperity and well-being. Of course a holiday celebration includes food and beverages. So why not make an appetizer with California avocados and New Mexico hatch chiles? Yes, using ingredients grown in the US is the way to go. This is why I’ll be serving Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip at my celebration.
Wine produced in the US is also a way to go. Pair up those California grown avocados with California grapes and you have a winner. It’s another reason I chose to make this dip when Gallo Family Vineyards invited me to celebrate the holiday virtually with them. The third reason is Labor Day is right in the middle of Hatch Chile season. It’s an awesome trio of reasons. Yet I could go on… A fourth is simply because it tastes so good.
How to make the dip? Throw it all in a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Let the processor do all the work of blending avocado, hatch chile, sour cream, lime juice, olive oil, and a little salt and pepper. It is fitting for a holiday created to give tribute to the efforts of workers and giving them a day off. So less work on Labor Day the better. Oh, and you can make it the day before. Then there is no work involved on the holiday besides taking it out of the fridge.
Which wines pair with the dip? Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend has fruity flavors to go along with avocado (also a fruit). Its sweetness is a nice balance to the heat from hatch chile. Another great choice is their Café Zinfandel. It’s a refreshing, lighter red wine served chilled. A cold sip on a hot summer holiday is quite nice. Take a look at Gallo’s Labor Day Entertaining blog post for more tips and inspiration.
What else to serve on Labor Day? You could fire up the grill and make Grilled Herb Shrimp with Chimichurri Sauce or Volcano Buffalo Burgers. There are also lots of choices below with recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers. Scroll down to see the list. Each one pairs wonderfully with Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend and Café Zinfandel.
More on Gallo Family Vineyards: Follow them on social media to keep up the latest on the company, vineyards, and their wines. Here are quick links to GFV’s profiles: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. Their website has lots of information on Gallo Family Vineyards wines plus wine pairing notes and a handy store locator.
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon roasted, seeded, peeled, and chopped hatch chile
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teasponn fresh ground pepper
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Process all ingredients (except tortilla chips) in a food processor until mixuture is very smooth, light, and thick.
- Transfer to a small bowl and serve with tortilla chips.
Are you entertaining on Labor Day? Check out these marvelous recipes by Sunday Supper tastemakers along with Gallo Family Vineyards wine pairings:
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper family on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the conversation. To get more great Sunday Supper recipes, visit the Sunday Supper Movement website or check out our Sunday Supper Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.