The air is filled with the scent of spice. It’s not just any spice. It is the familiar aroma of chili pepper emerging from a simmering pot. Hunger awakens as you walk near the event. You hear sounds of bubbling kettles, music, laughter, along with oh’s and ah’s of chili tasters. The cook-off is in full swing and you are ready to join in the fun. I brought Gesundheit Chili to one and you can find out more about it below (and vote for my recipe too).
Chili has so many variations. One big debate is whether or not it has beans in it. Then there is if it is made with beef, pork, chicken, venison, turkey, a mixture, or no meat at all. Styles vary from thick to thin, red to white, chunky to ground, and more. Each cook has their own special twist which makes theirs unique. Enthusiasts can get very serious about what makes or breaks a good chili and thus competitions began. Winners have bragging rights along with prizes. One of them is my mom because she won a chili cook-off. I took her recipe and changed it up a little to make my version of it.
Gesundheit chili has a German twist. It’s a beef and tomato based chili made with German sausage and beer. Gesundheit translates to health and of course beer, sausage, beef, tomato, and spice is good for you, right? Oh yes, I am certain of it. It’s thick, hearty, and has a medium spice level. Chunks of sausage and kidney beans give both extra flavor and texture to the chili. Serve it with sour cream, cheese, and your favorite chili toppings. Follow it up with apple strudel for dessert.
More about the cook-off: It’s a virtual one hosted by Heather on the Sunday Supper Movement website. The winner receives a ticket to the Food and Wine Conference plus a $25 gift card. A list of all the entries and links to them are below. Voting begins at 8am Eastern time on Sunday, 2/23/14, and ends at midnight on Thursday, 2/27/14 (National Chili Day).
Have you been to a chili competition? If so, did your favorite wind up being the winning one? Perhaps that will happen with my Gesundheit chili (ahem, hint, go vote for me – see link to voting below). Good luck to all the contestants and may the best chili win.
- 1½ pounds ground beef (round or chuck)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (5.5 ounces) tomato juice
- ¾ cup German pilsner beer
- 6 ounces bratwurst or knockwurst, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Brown the ground beef in a 5-quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Drain fat from the cooked beef.
- Add olive oil, onions, and bell pepper to the pot. Cook over medium heat until onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add cooked beef and remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover loosely and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
Will YOU be a part of the #SundaySupper Chili Cook-Off judges panel this week? Voting is at the Sunday Supper Movement Online Community Magazine starting now and concluding (fittingly) on February 27 – National Chili Day! Browse the submissions and cast your vote by clicking here: Chili Cook-off Voting
Beef and Bison Chili
- Bison & Black Bean Chili from It’s Yummi!
- Cincinnati Chili from Savvy Eats
- Easy Beef Bean Chili from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Chili con Carne from Manu’s Menu
- Gesundheit Chili from Magnolia Days
- Hellfire Chili from Yours And Mine Are Ours
- Hoisin Beef Chili from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Moroccan Harissa Spiked Chili from MarocMama
- Short Rib Chili from The Texan New Yorker
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Chili from Hip Foodie Mom
Chicken, Duck, and Turkey Chili
- Asian Five Spice Duck Chili from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Buffalo Turkey Chili from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken and Bell Pepper Chili from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chicken Meatball Chipotle Chili from Soni’s Food
- Gluten Free Turkey Chili from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Kickin’ Chicken Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Low Calorie Turkey Chili from Basic N Delicious
- Olé Mole Turkey Chili from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Quick & Easy Chipotle Turkey Chili from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Shockingly Delicious Chili Mole with Red Beans and Raisins from Shockingly Delicious
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from Family Foodie
- Thai Chicken Chili from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- White Chicken Chili from The Foodie Army Wife
Mixed (meat combo) Chili
- Best Damn Chili Ever from Noshing With The Nolands
- Chili con Tres Carne from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Daddy’s Favorite Chili from Momma’s Meals
- Harlem Meatloaf Chili from Neighborfood
- Leslie’s Best Chili from La Cocina de Leslie
Fish and Seafood Chili
- Scrumptious Seafood Chili from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Easy Vegetarian Chili with Raisins and Cashews from Delaware Girl Eats
- New Orleans Style Vegetarian Chili from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chili from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Chicken Chili Cheese Fries from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chili Cornbread Cupcakes from In The Kitchen With KP
- Chili Topped Tater Tots from Ruffles & Truffles
- Spicy Chili Mac from girlichef
Best Wines To Pair with Chili from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? Click here: Sunday Supper Movement