The words are just not coming. It is a classic case of writer’s block. My mind is swarming with everything to come in the next week. Distractions happen in an instant. Checking email results in a stream of to-do’s. Nights are filled with dreams of that to-do list. It’s all good though. I’m not complaining, only stating the current status of things happening in Magnolia Land. It is actually quite exciting. At least to get me through it all there is cake, Cherry Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake to be more specific.
Baking is one activity that calms and centers my mind. I think it is because it is a science and you need to concentrate on the task at hand. Results depend greatly on measuring, timing, and paying attention. Focusing on each step shuts out all the things bouncing around in my head. I am grateful of it being time again for Bundt Bakers. Plus I got to use more of the cherries in syrup hanging out in my fridge.
Cherry Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is similar to a pound cake. It is dense and has quite a weight to it. Slices are hearty and chock full of mini chocolate chips and chopped cherries. What kind of cherries? Obviously I used my cherries in syrup, however you could use fresh, dried, or jarred. The glaze is made with cherry syrup or juice so plan accordingly if you use dried ones or make a vanilla glaze.
Bundt Bakers theme for July is stone fruit. It took .00001 seconds to know I would be using cherries. It was a no-brainer with the supply I had. I can’t wait to see which fruit inspired the rest of the bakers. Just looking at the pretty bundts bring a smile. Plus I get more recipes to try. Will you join me in checking them out? Sure you will. Big thanks to our co-hosts Stacy of Food Lust People Love and Felice of All That’s Left Are the Crumbs.
- All-American Chocolate Cherry Pie Cake from Lauren at So You Think You Can Cook
- Black Forest Bundt Cake with Cherry Ganache Topping from Teri at The Freshman Cook
- Cherry Almond Ginger Bundt from Jane at Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Cherry Carrot & Banana Bundt from Kelly at Passion Kneaded
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake from Renee at Magnolia Days
- Chocolate Avocado Bundt Cake from Terri at Love and Confections
- Cinnamon Peach Bundt Cake from Bea and Mara at I Love Bundts
- Peaches n Cream Melba Bundt Cake from Laura at Baking in Pyjamas
- Peachy Bundt from Margaret at Tea and Scones
- Plum Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake by Maria at Box of Stolen Socks
- Roasted Cherry Kugelhopf with Cherry Bourbon Glaze by Tux from Brooklyn Homemaker
- Upside-down Apricot Butter Bundt from Stacy at Food Lust People Love
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ¾ cup chopped cherries (fresh, dried, or jarred)
- 2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cherry syrup or juice
- Pinch of salt
- Milk as needed for consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternatively with the buttermilk in two additions, mixing on low speed until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Stir in chocolate chips and cherries.
- Spead batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. Drizzle glaze on cake after completely cooled.
- Combine sugar, butter, cherry syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Gradually add milk in very small amounts as needed for desired consistency.
Recipe adapted from one in Southern Living Magazine May 2010 edition.
What is Bundt Bakers? It’s a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Bundt Bakers Pinterest board for incredible bundt cake recipes and inspiration. Stacy of Food Lust People Love heads up our group and has a #BundtBakers page where you can find information and links to the recipes for each month.
How is the monthly theme determined? We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.
Would you like to join in the fun? If you are a food blogger, send an email with your blog name and url to Stacy at firstname.lastname@example.org.