Details, oh details, how they can be so important. I’m one of those detail-oriented people. My memory is quite good and I keep lists and calendars to stay on track. Earlier this week I felt a bit ahead and thought how nice it was to have a little free time. I invited my mom to come over and cook with me. Right before she arrived I checked in with the Bundt-A-Month group and had this sudden realization: I baked the wrong cake. I mixed up May and June’s themes. I had to get another cake baked and quick.
Orange Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake is what I baked. I was surprised I had all the ingredients. I used frozen blueberries instead of fresh which I would have preferred. As it turns out, they were fine. I only wish I had more of them. They seem a bit sparse in my cake. I put the amount in the recipe of what I believe would be better. Use your best judgement when baking the cake.
The cake has a nice citrus and berry combination. I like the change of orange with blueberries instead of lemon. The zest is what really brings out the orange flavor. I used plain Greek yogurt however an orange flavored one is an option although not necessary. The yogurt makes it moist and gives it a special flavor or tang. Folding in stiffly beaten egg whites adds a lightness to what would be a heavy, dense cake without it.
When was the last time you mixed up details? Did you have a last minute revelation about it? I hope it will be a while before I do that again. At least it was all good in the end. Now I have another great cake to enjoy and share with family and friends. The bonus is I am way ahead for next month.
Recipe adapted from the 2004 Nordic Ware Bundt Cookbook. The book in not currently in print.
We have a berrilicious theme this month for #bundt-a-month. 15 gorgeous cakes using berries in every form will be inspiration enough for you to bake with us this month:
- Blueberry Banana Bundt by Veronica at My Catholic Kitchen
- Blueberry Buttermilk Cake by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Blueberry Coconut Bundt by Jennie at The Messy Baker Blog
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Blueberry Orange Baby Bundts by Anne at From My Sweet Heart
- Lemon Berry Bundt Cake by Heather at Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Berry Bundt by Holly at A Baker’s House
- Lemon Raspberry Bundlets by Kate at Food Babbles
- Lemon Rhubarb Bundt Cake with Blueberries by Laura at The Spiced Life
- Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake by Karen at In the Kitchen With KP
- Orange Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake by Renee at Magnolia Days
- Raspberry Wine Chocolate Bundt Cake by Paula at Vintage Kitchen
- Strawberry and Orange Bundt Cake by Alice at Hip Foodie Mom
- Strawberry Sweetheart by Kim at Ninja Baking
- Very Berry Streusel Bundt by Anita at Hungry Couple
Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Use your favorite berries or a combination of two and bake us a Bundt for May
- Post it before May 31, 2013
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Blueberry Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts
Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.