It’s time for a little something lighter. At least lighter in flavor. The holidays were filled with chocolate, caramel, and plenty of heavy holiday foods. Citrus to the rescue! What a fresh and flavorful way to start the new year. I celebrated New Year’s Eve with with these citrus cocktail mini bundt cakes. I had a few left over and it was the first dessert I enjoyed in 2013. It won’t be the last time either.
January #BundtAMonth is all about citrus. The first thing I thought of was my citrus cocktail. I made the drink last summer when it was blazing hot outside. I wanted something cool and refreshing. The blend of four citrus juices gives it a nice sweet/tart combination. It is balanced and easy to sip on either with out without the added vodka. I thought it would be wonderful in a cake. I quickly discovered it sure is.
I only have one mini bundt pan. The batter is enough for a full-sized bundt. I wound up making 6 mini bundts and 12 cupcakes. I dusted the mini bundts with powdered (confectioners) sugar because I wanted to bring out the pretty designs on them. I used the citrus glaze on the cupcakes. You know I can’t pass up the opportunity to glaze or frost a cake or cupcake.
How about more citrus bundts? The #BundtAMonth group has a lot of great recipes to share. Click on the links to get all the, ahem, juicy details:
- Almond Clementine Bundt Cake by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry
- Citrus Bundt Cake with Sparkling Wine and Fiori di Sicilia by Laura from The Spiced Life
- Citrus Cocktail Mini Bundt Cakes by Renee from Magnolia Days
- Citrus Lust Mini Bundt Cakes with Lemon Curd by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Dried Tomato Cherry & Yuzu Cake by Ann from Anncoo Journal
- Glazed Lemon Bundt Cake by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
- Grapefruit Poppyseed Bundt Cake by Deb from Knitstamatic
- Grapefruit Yogurt Bundt Cake by Kate from Food Babbles
- Lemon Bundt with Lemon Curd by Holly from A Baker’s House
- Mini Orange Bundts with a Grand Marnier Glaze by Tara from Noshing With The Nolands
- Orange Chocolate Marble Bundt by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
- Orange Olive Oil Cake by Katerina from Diethood
- Orange Strawberry Swirl Cream Cheese Bundt Cake by Anuradha from Baker Street
- Soaked and Glazed Lemon Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
- Zesty Lemon Bundt Cake by Anita from Hungry Couple NYC
Which is your favorite citrus fruit? Grapefruit is mine. I remember when I thought it tasted like battery acid (way back in my youth). Now I could eat one or drink the juice every day. Or use it to make my citrus cocktail and these incredible mini bundt cakes.
Here’s how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
- Simple rule: Use mandarin, orange, Citrus lime, yuzu, lemons, Key lime or ANYTHING citrus – and bake us a Bundt for Tangy January
- Post it before January 31, 2013
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Lemon Surprise Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to our announcement posts
Recipe adapted from one found on the Martha Stewart website.