Can you remember when you first had a bundt cake? It was ages and ages ago for me (back when I was a kid). It was also one of the first cakes I ever baked. Back then it was with a cake mix specifically for a bundt pan. I remember going to the store with my mom and looking for bundt mixes. Little did I know then that just about any cake mix or batter can be a bundt cake. All it is is a different shape of a cake pan.
I have several bundt pans. I love the different shapes and the way cakes look with each one. Some have pretty designs and a light dusting of powdered sugar makes the design pop. I used one of those pans for an eggnog pound cake. Others are more simple and are suited for cakes with a topping or glaze. I use a basic fluted bundt pan for the zucchini spice cake. I did so because the topping goes in the pan under the batter and bakes along with the cake.
Why did I bake this cake? Well, Anuradha of Baker Street and Lora of Cake Duchess are kicking off #BundtaMonth and they asked if I wanted to participate. Sure thing! It had been too long since I baked a bundt cake. Any excuse to use one of my pans is good with me. Then I found out the ingredient of the month is zucchini and I was all over it. I do love a good zucchini bread so a cake sounded even better.
A spice cake is great for fall. I start craving spice cakes and desserts when the weather cools down. The smell and taste of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice are so much a part of autumn. The zucchini spice cake is adapted from one on the All Recipes website. I adapted it with substituting half-and-half for water and reflecting my method of preparation. And what about the zucchini in the cake? No one will know it is in there. So sneak some veggies in the dessert and don’t say a word. I won’t tell if you won’t….
Take a look at these zucchini bundts for #BundtaMonth:
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake by Anuradha at Baker Street
- Chocolate Zucchini Swirl Bundt Cake by Lora at Cake Duchess
- Healthy Wanna-Be Bundt Cake by Deb at Knitstamatic
- Chocolate Coconut Zucchini Bundt Cake by Kate at Food Babbles
- Zucchini and Banana Bundt Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Kate at Diet Hood
- Banana Zucchini Bundt Cake by Lizzie at Food and Thrift
Anuradha and Lora will pick an ingredient and announce it the first week of every month. All you Bundt loving bakers need to do is use your imagination on how you’d like to incorporate it and bake a Bundt – mini Bundt or large Bundt – and link it up to their blogs throughout the month. It’s that simple!
Here’s how to bake with #BundtaMonth:
- Bake your September #BundtaMonth Zucchini Bundt.
- Post it before September 30, 2012.
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title should read – #BundtaMonth: Chocolate Zucchini Bundt)
- Join the bundt baking party! Share your link it to our blog hop by clicking here or here.
- Link back to both Anuradha and Lora’s announcement posts.
Note: Antique cake server in photos is courtesy of tbg design.