The holiday season has arrived. There will be much celebrating, baking, and merriment to be had in the coming weeks. My oven use goes into overtime. I like to bake cakes, bundts especially, to take to friends and family. Some times they are gifts and others are for my contribution to the meal. A Maderia Pound Bundt Cake will be perfect for my wine loving friends. How do I know? Because it was perfect for my wine loving self.
It is no secret that I love wine. That includes Madeira, my absolute favorite after dinner drink. I cook with it too and recently made a sauce I could drink all by itself. Madeira is a fortified wine similar to port or sherry. It has flavors of caramel, almonds, and sometimes chocolate. All of these flavors are meant for a cake.
The December #BundAMonth theme is boozy cakes. I thought of Madeira the moment it was announced. I went directly to my old Bundt cookbook from Nordic Ware and found a recipe with it. How great! A bonus is that it has pecans so I was a happy Southern gal. I also had a new bundt pan to use. The pan is German and is designed to reflect the domes of Germany. How fun to bake with the pan right after I got back from my trip there.
The cake turned out beautifully. I did my best to photograph it and show the design. I suggest serving the cake with ice cream or perhaps some whipped cream. I had not been to the store so I was out of both for taking photos. (Note to self: keep whipped cream and ice cream on hand). (Second note to self: hide extra ice cream from husband).
Do you like boozy cakes? Check out these from my fellow #BundtAMonth bloggers:
- Araby Spice-Limoncello Bundt Cake with Limoncello Glaze by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Bailey’s and Buttershots Bundt Cake by Karen from In The Kitchen With KP
- Banana Pineapple Bundt Cake with Coconut Rum Glaze by Carrie from Poet In The Pantry (recipe post available 12/02/12)
- Chocolate Bourbon Mini Bundt by Holly from A Baker’s House
- Chocolate Port Bundt Cake by Paula from Vintage Kitchen
- Eggnog Rum Pound Cake by Dorothy from Shockingly Delicious
- Madeira Pound Bundt Cake by Renee from Magnolia Days
- Mint Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Creme de Menthe by Laura from The Spiced Life
- Shirley Temple Bundt Cake Kim Beaulieu from Cravings Of A Lunatic
- Spiked Eggnog Bundt Cake with Bourbon Glaze by Kate from Food Babbles (recipe post available 12/02/12)
- Sweet Potato Bourbon Bundt by Jennie from The Messy Baker Blog
- Long Island Iced TeaCake by Deb from Knitstamatic
- Rum and Raisin Butter Bundt with Rum Honey Glaze by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Tiramisu Bundt Cake with Kahlúa Mascarpone Glaze by Anuradha from Baker Street
- Vanilla and Bourbon Cake by Kate from Diethood
- Vanilla Mini Bundt Cakes with Kahlúa by Alice from Hip Foodie Mom
What is your favorite booze flavor in cakes? A good rum cake always topped my list…until now. This Madeira Bound Bundt Cake may have tied with it. Then again, I still need to try all the fabulous bundts featured in this event. Who knows, I might just find a new favorite. Cheers!
Here’s how you can join the #BundtaMonth party:
- Get inspired by your favorite cocktail, mocktail or just use your favorite liqueur and bake us a Bundt for Boozy December.
- Post it before December 31, 2012.
- Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read – #BundtaMonth: Chocolate Bourbon Bundt)
- Add your entry to the Linky tool below
- Link back to both Lora and Anuradha’s announcement posts.
Recipe adapted from the Bundt Cookbook by Nordic Ware.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.